the sultan thread

Culling will be hard, especially around here. I'm hoping I can find a way to raise my cockerels old enough to be eating size. Knowing they're not going to waste is what I want, but if they make too much noise, I'll have a problem. I'm really hoping we can move to a place where I can raise my birds in peace in the next few years, but it may never happen... But yes, it's hard.

My husband really wants to start a breeding program for our enjoyment. We have two large empty coops and he has plans to build some more off our barn.. maybe set up breeding pens. Thankfully we don't have to worry about roosters since we have a large property. But we have a million different projects so I don't know if we have the time for it right now.

wee.gif

I did it! I found eggs and bought some to incubate... of course I have to hope they hatch but they are standard Sultans so... YEY

Are they like most crested breeds- laid back?

Last edited:
I found that mine were skittish until they were about... oh?? 6 months old? Then they started being so sweet! But mine didn't get handled a lot, so that could have been a factor. They still don't get handled a lot, but when I come to feed everyone, they walk up and like being pet. Quite amazing, really. I thought they would never be friendly, but now they really are! Also, they can still be easily frightened and fly off in panic, but that's more due to their eyesight, I think :)

Anyway, my point is that if your birds are skittish and unfriendly, don't give up hope, they'll eventually settle down :)

Are these birds fliers? I didn't think of chickens flying very far esp with crests. My other chickens will make a flying dash somewhere and if they launch from the fence top they can fly up to 20 feet which really is more of a gradual crashing but... Sultans?

Mine aren't really out in the open much, and they don't even like to hop up onto a foot and a half high roost. But they are light weight, and could fly... when I used to have them in the yard, they didn't fly much either... so I'd say not really flyers but I think they can fly if they have to??

Mine when they need to can fly big time!!! My Victoria has hit 7 feet or so up when startled. Neither of my 2 do it to get up in the trees, or out of the pen though. only when they have to. I agree with Cluck, handle them often and you will have tamer birds just like the rest. I handled mine daily for a long time when they were little. They are 22 weeks now and so affectionate. Come to me as soon as I am in eye sight. I do trim the feathers on their head so they can see. They are a lot calmer with them trimmed. They are SO funny too. such little comedians.

Mine are out in the 100 X 200 pen every day with my other 11 girls of mixed flock and in at night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom