the sultan thread

Got some new pics! Almost 8 weeks and still no red on the comb area!not even pink yet. I may just be optimistic but I think my 1 sultan I got it a pullet. Meet Charlotte :)

Last edited:
I've had a rough couple of weeks with my birds and chickens. Snakes, flood, missing etc. I lost my small sultan roo to unknown reasons while he was out foraging. I was devastated :( All I have now are my cross beak sultan and a sultan pullet (I think). I want more eggs or chicks so bad but I guess I have to wait until spring.

I go to a livestock auction and several weeks ago they had a trio of sultan chicks. Wish I could have got them but yikes at the price!

I've had a rough couple of weeks with my birds and chickens. Snakes, flood, missing etc. I lost my small sultan roo to unknown reasons while he was out foraging. I was devastated :( All I have now are my cross beak sultan and a sultan pullet (I think). I want more eggs or chicks so bad but I guess I have to wait until spring.

I go to a livestock auction and several weeks ago they had a trio of sultan chicks.  Wish I could have got them but yikes at the price!

I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

A very special friend of mine wanted to do something nice for my family so he's found me a small flock of mature sultan bantams on CL and insisted he get them for us. So I'm going tomorrow to pick them up :) I'm excited, it's 1 roo and 4 hens. My two sultans are standard I think, but I did want to eventually do a flock of sultan bantams too.

I got my new Sultan flock today. They are beautiful birds even though they are in the middle of a molt. 1 Roo and 5 hens (I thought it was 4). After seeing the young from this group I've decided my two existing Sultans are pullets. Come spring I will have one very happy single Sully with 7 hens to call his own! I cant wait to have them settle in their new coop so I can allow them out to free range and kick back to watch my pretty flock. Spring will be nice now so I can participate in the Sultan egg exchange(I hope) to keep these beautiful birds going.

(to the Seller, you know who you are and maybe are reading. Thank you for the Sultans! They will have a great home and be our much loved pets and with luck will help bring Sultans to others who may love them as much)

Pictures to come later..

I got my new Sultan flock today. They are beautiful birds even though they are in the middle of a molt. 1 Roo and 5 hens (I thought it was 4). After seeing the young from this group I've decided my two existing Sultans are pullets. Come spring I will have one very happy single Sully with 7 hens to call his own! I cant wait to have them settle in their new coop so I can allow them out to free range and kick back to watch my pretty flock. Spring will be nice now so I can participate in the Sultan egg exchange(I hope) to keep these beautiful birds going.

(to the Seller, you know who you are and maybe are reading. Thank you for the Sultans! They will have a great home and be our much loved pets and with luck will help bring Sultans to others who may love them as much)

Pictures to come later..

Sounds awesome! I've become very partial to the Sultans!

2 nights ago, it was pouring so I waited until it was almost dark before going out to lock up coops so they'd be more away than usual...Well, they were, our Sultan rooster somehow got into our Buff's coop, next to his, and when I let them out the next morning, he came out with a 2"x2" area of his back plucked clean and raw just above his tail ;-( Brought him in, dressed it and he's recovering fine, but I didn't look in to make sure who was in it, something I've never done nor had to do...First for everything...

Last edited:
Aww that's terrible. Funny how they know exactly (most of the time anyway) where home coop is.

I went out the other evening and they were not ready yet to be locked up so I came back in and forgot. I remembered about a hour after dark and went out to find them. Everyone was in the coop roosted up and waiting for me to lock them up.

My coop is moveable like a tractor so the new guys are hanging in the front yard where the coop currently is while my two original sultans hang out back where there's more bugs under the oak trees. We are going to have to move the coop I think to introduce the new ones to the back yard bugs. They are definitely not adventurous. I had to physically put the hens out of the coop the first day I released them.

Back
Top Bottom