the sultan thread

new picture at 10 weeks old I believe. I was so positive the only sultan I got from ideal would be a he and now I'm sure I got a she. :) if the other 7 polish and silkies turn out to be roosters I'll still be happy because I got this one lol

I recently added 5 sultans to my flock. Turned out I have 3 pullets and 2 roos. The all got trims right away so they area able to navigate around the coop and other chickens better. It was a good choice for them.

They are quite happy and well adjusted about 4 months old now. They are not being picked on, but do stay away from a select few of my "bossy" hens.

Is it normal for them to NEVER go outside into the run?? Our coop is pretty good sized, and we have put in several tree branch roosts, and they area able to hang out on top of the nesting boxes if they want. The fenced yard is also quite large as we have around 40 chickens....and I wanted them all to have plenty of room since we no longer free range.

They prefer to stay high up on roosts and just get down to run around inside and eat and drink periodically. They love people and jump down to visit when they know we're coming.

I worry they are missing out on "chicken fun" by staying in all the time. Please tell me if this is normal. Has anyone tried forcing them out and making them stay for a while? I don't want to torment them.

yep that sure looks like a sultan although I'm new to the breed. I got one from ideal hatchery and love her to death now.

I recently added 5 sultans to my flock.  Turned out I have 3 pullets and 2 roos.  The all got trims right away so they area able to navigate around the coop and other chickens better.  It was a good choice for them. 

They are quite happy and well adjusted about 4 months old now.  They are not being picked on, but do stay away from a select few of my "bossy" hens.

Is it normal for them to NEVER go outside into the run??  Our coop is pretty good sized, and we have put in several tree branch roosts, and they area able to hang out on top of the nesting boxes if they want.  The fenced yard is also quite large as we have around 40 chickens....and I wanted them all to have plenty of room since we no longer free range.

They prefer to stay high up on roosts and just get down to run around inside and eat and drink periodically.  They love people and jump down to visit when they know we're coming. 

I worry they are missing out on "chicken fun" by staying in all the time.  Please tell me if this is normal.  Has anyone tried forcing them out and making them stay for a while?  I don't want to torment them.
mine doesn't stay in all the time but she does go in the coop much more than my polish or silkie so idk

I recently added 5 sultans to my flock. Turned out I have 3 pullets and 2 roos. The all got trims right away so they area able to navigate around the coop and other chickens better. It was a good choice for them.

They are quite happy and well adjusted about 4 months old now. They are not being picked on, but do stay away from a select few of my "bossy" hens.

Is it normal for them to NEVER go outside into the run?? Our coop is pretty good sized, and we have put in several tree branch roosts, and they area able to hang out on top of the nesting boxes if they want. The fenced yard is also quite large as we have around 40 chickens....and I wanted them all to have plenty of room since we no longer free range.

They prefer to stay high up on roosts and just get down to run around inside and eat and drink periodically. They love people and jump down to visit when they know we're coming.

I worry they are missing out on "chicken fun" by staying in all the time. Please tell me if this is normal. Has anyone tried forcing them out and making them stay for a while? I don't want to torment them.
I have two young Sultans about 4 months and I added 6 adult Sultans who had formed their own flock. My two original ones still roam nearly the entire 3/4 acre I have while the older Adults only go to the front yard under a maple tree. I've seen them cross my drive one time and go to another tree area.

They probably will not leave a coop if they feel secure in there. Sultans are not like most chickens and generally do not forage well. My new older ones do not like the existing younger chickens and refuse to join the flock of young chickens. I think your 40 other chickens are scaring them a bit even if there is not fighting happening. It took my new older hens a whole day to leave the coop, and my coop is rather small just for night time use. Once a sultan figures out where home is they tend not to wander far away and mine all head back to the coop if they get scared by a noise or something.

You may have to find a different area and a new coop for them since they really do not like to associate with other chickens :) Just my experience with it.

Heres my Charlotte today at about 11 weeks.
and here's her with my final 4 from 15 I'm keeping. Left to right is Charlotte, cruella (ella for short),jack my big gentle boy, and Sally who I hope is a pullet. I didn't think I'd keep aroo but jack is a big sweet heart and I can't stand the thought of him being some ones dinner. I can't wait to see what babies I get from him and charlotte some day. Black crested white sultans! XD

We have a couple of chickens that came from what was supposed to be a bantam batch at TSC. My nephew (a 4-H kid) said they look like sultans. Both are black (with a bluish tingle in good light) but neither of them seems to have developed foot feathering yet (at 6 months old).

Here are a couple of photos of them. Anyone here think these two look like sultans or do they look like something else?

I should also note, they are definitely not bantams. They are only a little smaller than the rest of our girls.

Last edited:
While they do have the similar shape to a sultan, they should have developed feathered feet and legs as they lost their baby fuzz. They also do not have the vulture hocks that sultans have or a very upright tail. It's possible they are a mixture of sultan and polish but most probably a polish mixture of some sort.
Very pretty though!!

Back
Top Bottom