The Sussex thread!

Hello! I think you'll be happy with your decision: They're beautiful and very even-tempered birds. I have both Cochins and SS and the Cochins are a bit more docile and eager to interact with me. The Sussex are happiest when they're allowed to go about their business and will occasionally pop by to see what you're doing. Every bird is unique, though, and different lines have different temperaments. I even have one pullet who is essentially feral and spent about a week living in the wild.

I really like SS roos, though. Never had an aggressive one and they look after the ladies well. This guy survived a fox attack and is...ah...silly, but endearing...
Thanks for your input! I just met my first Sussex roo this weekend at the NY state fair and fell in love with their size and their regal looks. Can't wait to have some light sussex beauties running around my yard! I have two cochin chicks in the brooder right now, so I'll get to compare. :)

Quote:
I can do it all my self at a week/week half. I hold the chick in my left hand grab the wing tag, poke it up thourgh the wing membrane then grab the pilers and clamp it.

Yes they are one size fits all. Do not place to far back. Honestly i was very scrared to do the first one. I could almost do it and then the chick started to squak and i then just paused.
That would be me!!! LOL a squawk would make me pause--concerned I was truely hurting it.

I see where a flat nose plier could work with your method call ducks. Wonder if there are online videos showing the procedure. I'm still so new to birds that small body parts like wing tag sounds like foreign word. Much to learn.
There is one, but i could not get it to play! I should make one next time i band chicks!

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the place to post this but I'm giving it a try. I raise SS & am currently working with 3 bloodlines. I bought some SS chicks so now I have 4 bloodlines to work with. Here is how I am currently set up....

(F means Flock or Family)

F1 rooster in with F2 hens
F2 rooster in with F3 hens (F2 rooster is related to the F2 hens)

The SS chicks I have now are straight run, so there is at least 1 cockerel in the mix. The SS roosters are kept separate from each other so I can keep track of whose breeding with whom. I have 3 runs, but 1 of the runs is where I put the bantams & broody hens when they hatch chicks. I'm not 100% sure how to intergrade this new set of chicks/bloodlines into my flocks. I read that sires (roosters) shouldn't breed with their offspring, but it's ok with grandsires to breed with grand-offspring. I was going to have F1 breed with F2 rooster's offspring and vise versa. Now I'm a bit confused on how to do this with a 4th bloodline. If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, etc it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any and all help.

Catnip, have you considered the rotational method. I think that is kinda of what your are explaining. It was recommended to my by a master breeder, Don Schrider; he managed the buckeye project run by ALBC. YOu have all the lines to make it work. 3-4 lines, move the male from F1 pen to the F2 pen, and this doesn't cross back to fathers.

You can find more by googling rotational breeding. Place the new hens in a pen ,and when the roosters grow up, have a look at them and evaluate which pen of hens would best benefit from those genes. THe goal is to not double up on weaknesses.

THanks for the heads upon your notation of F1 f2, that is usually used to refer to the generations.

Hello Everyone,

This is our light sussex roo, Toko. I was thinking of showing him this fall but I am new to the breed and would like some of your opinions on his quality. This pic is about 2 months old, hes grown a bit since this.

Please let me know what you all think :eek:)

Thank you in advance
-Jamie

Catnip, have you considered the rotational method. I think that is kinda of what your are explaining. It was recommended to my by a master breeder, Don Schrider; he managed the buckeye project run by ALBC.  YOu have all the lines to make it work. 3-4 lines, move the male from F1 pen to the F2 pen, and this doesn't cross back to fathers.

You can find more by googling rotational breeding. Place the new hens in a pen ,and when the roosters grow up, have a look at them and evaluate which pen of hens would best benefit from those genes. THe goal is to not double up on weaknesses.

THanks for the heads upon your notation of F1 f2, that is usually used to refer to the generations.  

Thanks Arielle for the advice. I will be looking up rotational breeding here shortly. Thanks again and take care.

Back
Top Bottom