The Sussex thread!

It's probably unfounded, but I keep getting concerned that I won't be able to tell it from the pure SS in the future. I'm sure I will, though. It would be nice to have the pretty speckles in the laying flock.
smile.png
Its genetic sibling is black and yellow, like a marans chick should be.

Put a little zip tie on it.

I've thought about both of those options! It's easy to tell, for now, because one "set" of black and chipmunk chicks are a day older than the other "set." But in a few weeks after they feather out, and my new chicks are here, I'm afraid I'll forget.

I love pedicures! :D

Or paint the toe nails
I used to use people polish, but my chickens seemed to be intoxicated on it! they made it clear that they did not like the feeling, and blamed me when they came down. .. Now I use the dog polish for my birds, when I have to paint for Id, or non toxic livestock markers if i need it to last weeks instead of months.

I used small colored rubber bands, since I only need to keep them a few days. Although very loose, they are staying on very well.

BTW- Coronation Sussex x Lav Orpington.= a very cute chick
Both parents are HUGE & fluffy

day 2 since the chickens have been free ranging in melted parts of our property all day ...and pox has yet to show any aggressiveness or tried to attack. I think holding him at night really is helping. Hopefully he keeps this up and we don't have to do anything else. They usually free range but haven't all winter. they refused to come out lol.

Back
Top Bottom