The Sussex thread!

"Speckle" deciding she'd like to bathe in the bedding. Only had her a few days, and has quickly put herself at the top of the pecking order. And of course after she started digging down in the bedding, 3 others followed suit!

Love my speckled sussex! I'm new to the sussex and somewhat new to chickens although not entirely. Here are my two girls (hoping both are girls). About 5.5 weeks old. They were identical at first but number one is outpacing number two and getting a bit darker.

Number one - more standoffish. Super observant. Doesn't mind alone time.

and number two - more friendly. A little less confident than number one. Not fond of being alone.

No names yet but soon. I'm quite fascinated with them. I got 8 chicks at 3 weeks old, two sussex, two buff orps, two glw, and 2 sf. The sussex were my favorites immediately. So alert!

Last edited:
Love my speckled sussex! I'm new to the sussex and somewhat new to chickens although not entirely. Here are my two girls (hoping both are girls). About 5.5 weeks old.

No names yet but soon. I'm quite fascinated with them. I got 8 chicks at 3 weeks old, two sussex, two buff orps, two glw, and 2 sf. The sussex were my favorites immediately. So alert!
You have both SS and SF? I have neither yet but am in conversation with ppl who have them-trying to decide which frankly!! I've been over the general info a lot and see similarities in personalities. Can you tell me what differences you see between your Sussex and your Flowers?
Anyone who has experience with both please feel free to add your input!
Thanks!!

You have both SS and SF? I have neither yet but am in conversation with ppl who have them-trying to decide which frankly!! I've been over the general info a lot and see similarities in personalities. Can you tell me what differences you see between your Sussex and your Flowers?
Anyone who has experience with both please feel free to add your input!
Thanks!!

Yes I have both! But I am by no means an expert on their personality quirks. However, at 8 weeks, I can tell you that mine are nothing alike. The Sussex are very alert and bold and friendly and super curious. They like to be petted and if I bend over anywhere near their ramp, they immediately run up it and stare at my hair.

The faverolles are more skittish and while they don't run screaming from me they definitely avoid getting too close and do not want me picking them up. If I do, you'd think I was a giant scary monster (which I suppose I am.) They will, however, stand up for themselves and are not pushovers. While not as in your face as the Sussex, they radiate a calm peaceful energy which I find very soothing....even though they don't really like me yet.

I've been wanting a couple Speckled Sussex hens for a while. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about their temperent, characteristics, etc. And how about the roosters?

Love my SS! I have two--one is super friendly and curious and always right up in my face like a puppy when I peek in the coop. She's the only hen I've had who will let me pick her up and hold her, no questions asked. She is the alpha hen, but I've never seen her peck or be mean to the others.

They both went broody right away, though, and VERY determined. I finally gave in and bought them some eggs to hatch. So far the one has been an excellent egg setter, and I bet she'll be a great mommy too. Eggs due to hatch on Friday!

Back
Top Bottom