The Sussex thread!

At the end of his week, DS got a book made by his classmates who shared what they liked most. It was sweet & will be cherished. However, I did notice that we need to invite a few children here for play dates, so they may see what real chickens look like. LOL (Over the years, I've seen many chicken drawings with 3 toed feet, but this was the 1st time I've seen the rare 4 legged variety.) Oh how I love children's abstract art!
IMG_4985.JPG
IMG_4986.JPG

The kids are feeling better (Strep for Christmas & flu for New Year!), so we finally took a few Christmas pics. Guess which bird DS wanted to pose with?
Here he is with his "Chizzy."
IMG_6588.JPG IMG_6573 copy.jpg

He also claimed another pullet and named her "Poof-Poof", but that's another story.

It's above freezing today & the flock got out to enjoy the nice weather.
Here's Chizzy searching for a melted area into which to dig.
chizzy.jpg

If you recall this poor girl lost the tips of her comb due to an amorous young cockerel. Her little shark fin comb is perfect for winter.

Blackdotte ( nick) from Australia ( poultry color genetics expert) says the Lavender Coronation Sussex was created when a Tasmanian farmer was crossing Light Sussex with a broiler bird. The farmer got some Lavender Coronation colored birds from it. The birds were crossed back to Light Sussex and from there the Lavender Australian Coronation Sussex was created.
Best,
Karen and the Light Sussex in PA, USA

Faraday, that is one of the most BEAUTIFUL chicken pictures I have ever seen and the prettiest speckled as well! I love her Betty Grable pose!

Thank you. She's pretty, but also feisty. Last summer, an amorous young cockerel injured her comb and eventually all the tips fell off. Poor Chizzy was left with a shark fin - but it suits her rough, junkyard dog personality. My son toughened her up by playing on the swings, slides, bike rides, & climbing trees with her. She always up for a little adventure, loves to chase squirrels, steal the dog food, and follow my son. She doesn't want to cuddle for long. She can be a little pecky and sometimes bullies any new pullets.

This is our pullet Hemlock. she's our first and only Speckled Sussex, but now that I've had one, I would definitely get another. She's sweet and smart. A little skittish, but not to the point of what i call flighty. Some of her feathers have a beautiful green iridescence in the sun.

IMG_20181005_151823332.jpg IMG_20180728_111147345_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom