The Sussex thread!

Thanks Clucksworth. I am beginning to think they might be Light Sussex. I have noticed a small amount of black feathering around the neck. I picked them up at Tractor Supply. I think buying chicks at Tractor Supply is kind of like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, "you never know what you get!" lol They seem to be nice chicks anyhow. Thanks again! :)

TSC wouldn't have light Sussex. Speckled is the only color currently bred by hatcheries. You have something else entirely known as the "mislabeled bin mystery chick". Post a few photos on the What breed/gender board and you'll get help identifying.

TSC wouldn't have light Sussex. Speckled is the only color currently bred by hatcheries. You have something else entirely known as the "mislabeled bin mystery chick". Post a few photos on the What breed/gender board and you'll get help identifying.

Oh boy! Well whatever they are I like them. LOL The sign did say "Speckled Sussex" but you are right they were probably mislabeled. I bought two of these birds and four Dark Cornish just so I could check out the quality of birds that particular hatchery has. The comb on the Cornish is not even right. I'm glad I bought these six before I ordered 25 of some kind from them! Now I know.

Thanks for the information.

Hi Sabrina,
 Check the back of the legs on the 2 with long tail feathers. Do you see any kind of a "bump" where spurs might be getting ready to come out? Do the scales look any different from the bird with the short tail feathers?  I find my boy Light Sussex birds by watching for longer tail feathers. Also, the combs and wattles should be larger than on the female.  Did these birds all come from the same hatch and were their parents related? Where did you get them from? We will figure this out, mile.
 Thanks,
 Karen
 Waterford English Light Sussex,
 PA, USA

I bought 6 of them at tractor supply. I have 2 away and my dog got 1 yesterday. I will post pics pretty soon. The two with long tail feathers have started acting like they are fighting but it looks like they r playing.

I am a newbie about to get my first chicks. The Sussex is on my short list.

Does anyone find a tempermant difference between the Light and Speckled? I read nothing but postive things about the Light, but I have found a fair number of posts/reviews/etc here and on other sites that say their Speckled are a bit bossy. Does anyone have both Light and Speckled and can confirm this? I'm trying to get an easy-going group. They will be mixed with either Orpingtons or Easter Eggers.

I am a newbie about to get my first chicks. The Sussex is on my short list.

Does anyone find a tempermant difference between the Light and Speckled? I read nothing but postive things about the Light, but I have found a fair number of posts/reviews/etc here and on other sites that say their Speckled are a bit bossy. Does anyone have both Light and Speckled and can confirm this? I'm trying to get an easy-going group. They will be mixed with either Orpingtons or Easter Eggers.
I am a newbie but my SS is very friendly and laid back. I have not seen any bossy behavior yet and she appears to be situated in the middle of the group in pecking order with my EE at or near the bottom. I also wanted a laid back group and so far, my GLW is the boss, not mean but bossy for sure.
smile.png

I am crossing my fingers for you! My SS has feathers like a pullet, attitude like a pullet, feet, pelvis, etc except for that darn HUGE comb! I wish I could know already...so frustrating, but kind-of fun too. Just waiting on a crow. They are almost 8 weeks, so we should know soon, I hope. Other people have told me that SS take longer to tell because the outward signs take longer, do you know if this is true of the crowing too? I am new with chickens, any help is appreciated

Back
Top Bottom