The Sussex thread!

Hi every one, i have some chicks i wont your opinion on, i bought them as day olds for my broody hen but she wouldn't have them, the guy who hatched them thought they were all supposed to be light sussex but got abit of a surprise when 3 of the six hatched out, one is black and 2 are a brown, the other 3 are definatly LS so what do you think?
2 days old
10 days old
2 days old
10 days old
2 days old
10 days old
they are now nearly 4 weeks old so i can get updated pics in the morning but if anyone wants to hazard a guess, could the be buff or speckled instead?, would love to hear some opinions

Hi every one, i have some chicks i wont your opinion on, i bought them as day olds for my broody hen but she wouldn't have them, the guy who hatched them thought they were all supposed to be light sussex but got abit of a surprise when 3 of the six hatched out, one is black and 2 are a brown, the other 3 are definatly LS so what do you think? 2 days old 10 days old 2 days old 10 days old 2 days old 10 days old they are now nearly 4 weeks old so i can get updated pics in the morning but if anyone wants to hazard a guess, could the be buff or speckled instead?, would love to hear some opinions Thanks :)
the last picture of a chick looks similar to my chicks. A buff Sussex was there father.

I'm new here and just thought I'd chime in.

I have a Speckled and a Coronation Sussex pullet. I love them - by far my friendliest out of the flock. My Coro, Sunday, is always the first at the gate to greet me and with hope in her eyes that I have a tasty treat with me.

Neither have started to lay yet, but my SS, Snitzel should be due to start soon as her face is very red and her wattles and comb have come in quite well.

I may be looking to add Silver Sussex to my flock in the near future as well if my husband will let me. I can see me doing this
bow.gif
so he'll let me.

I'm new here and just thought I'd chime in.

(snipped for brevity)
I may be looking to add Silver Sussex to my flock in the near future as well if my husband will let me. I can see me doing this
bow.gif
so he'll let me.
Welcome, Welcome!
wee.gif

If you are seeking Silver Sussex, try Waltz's Ark ( Walt's Ark ) in Clorado ( website). They are doing good things with several colors of Sussex, including Silver, I believe.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
If anyone in Pennsylvania knows where I can get a speckled roo chick please let me know. We've just purchased 9 chicks (all hens according to what I can figure out about how to sex them), and I'd like to add a rooster.

Welcome, Welcome!
wee.gif

If you are seeking Silver Sussex, try Waltz's Ark ( Walt's Ark ) in Clorado ( website). They are doing good things with several colors of Sussex, including Silver, I believe.
Best,
Karen
Thank you for the welcome, Karen.

Unfortunately I live in Australia, not the US, but I appreciate the information though.

Well after finishing my hatch I now have 2 speckled Sussex.Is there a way to sex them at hatch? Does the wing feather development work for this breed or color difference.They do seem to have different patterns

Back
Top Bottom