The Sussex thread!

My Speckled gal is 6 weeks old!

Here is my chick that everyone says isn't a SS. I am sure if its not pure then it does have Speckled Sussex in it, any one have any idea what the other half could be?

Here is my chick that everyone says isn't a SS. I am sure if its not pure then it does have Speckled Sussex in it, any one have any idea what the other half could be?

The chicks I got from Tony Albritton were just like yours. Juvenile feathering is more white than the hatchery SS I've had in the past. When I asked him about how different they looked from the ones I had seen previously he said some of his hatch out chipmunk marked and some blonde, but that they all eventually get the correct markings after juvenile molt. He also said those with significantly more white feathers as juveniles, particularly around the shoulders, are usually cockerels, and so far I have to say he was right about that.

In 3 weeks ill be getting my Speckled Sussex!

Farmers only worry during the growing season, but towns people worry all the time.

The chicks I got from Tony Albritton were just like yours. Juvenile feathering is more white than the hatchery SS I've had in the past. When I asked him about how different they looked from the ones I had seen previously he said some of his hatch out chipmunk marked and some blonde, but that they all eventually get the correct markings after juvenile molt. He also said those with significantly more white feathers as juveniles, particularly around the shoulders, are usually cockerels, and so far I have to say he was right about that.
So it is a Speckled Sussex?

I hatched 2 SS a few weeks back and got 1 boy and 1 girl. I'm keeping the girl but have to sell the boy. How much is a fair price for a purebred SS rooster? Purebred heritage breeds are rare in my area, most people only keep barnyard mixes and production breeds.And that's pretty much all the feed stores bring in.I'm don't know how much to ask for him and I want the new owners to value him, free roosters end up in the stew pot alot.

Back
Top Bottom