The Sussex thread!

Our new Roo has been here for a few days now and has settled in nicely to his job of protecting the girls. Meet Joe, named by my son. He says he named him "Joe", as in "cup of joe", because he wakes us up in the morning.

Still looking like a SS?
575627_4181337391374_1240129785_n.jpg

I am reading the Show Quality Speckled Sussex thread and I just saw chicks purchased directly from a show winning Speckled Sussex breeder that look very much like your chick: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/429217/show-quality-speckled-sussex/1060#post_8747464

I think you do have a Speckled Sussex there ... just not the color we are used to seeing when we think of them as chicks.

I am reading the Show Quality Speckled Sussex thread and I just saw chicks purchased directly from a show winning Speckled Sussex breeder that look very much like your chick: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/429217/show-quality-speckled-sussex/1060#post_8747464

I think you do have a Speckled Sussex there ... just not the color we are used to seeing when we think of them as chicks.
That's good to hear! :)
Absolutely looking like a Speckled Sussex... White legs indicate Sussex and of course the speckles are starting to show. This little one will probably have very good coloring as he / she matures.... Where did you pick this little one up at?
I think its a he, I am not 100% sure but I will keep him anyways. I have another cockerel, so if he bullies him he will be culled because he is already human aggressive. And I just got him/her from a friend as a day old for my broody which I also got from her last year!

Pox Our rooster :) he crows 3 times a day. once a 6:30, once when I get up and then again when my boyfriend comes home. He is ther friendliest rooster I have ever met. He LOVES attention. we still have them inside the house while coop is being built. But they are outside during the day foraging.

Pox Our rooster :) he crows 3 times a day. once a 6:30, once when I get up and then again when my boyfriend comes home. He is ther friendliest rooster I have ever met. He LOVES attention. we still have them inside the house while coop is being built. But they are outside during the day foraging.

How old is Pox? He sure looks young. At first I thought it might be a hen because that is the smallest comb/wattles I have ever seen on a a rooster. Then I realized you said you were still building their coop and they were inside.. so I thought - must be young.

he is only 9 weeks :) the hens have much smaller combs. this was taken when he was 8 weeks I believe.

Thank you, that clarifies it. Pretty boy - and obliging to not crow before 6:30... unlike my unruly bunch who start when the neighbor leaves for work around 5 am...
roll.png
and don't shut up almost all day. Just takes one.. or even a hen.. and off they go again for an encore..

Back
Top Bottom