The Sussex thread!

I'm starting to think my Sussex are going to be more friendly than my faverolles....this is surprising to me. What lovely birds! I have to select my roos for breeding so I may be back for some expert opinions here on the byc :)

So out of my 17 SS, I know 9 are pullets, but not to sure about these 3...anyone want to weigh in? They are just over 6 weeks old.

If your rooster is attacking ANYONE, I think he needs to be dinner. How old is he? Some males develop more aggression as they get older. Either be certain that he can't ever get to anyone else, especially any child, or have him gone. He could seriously injure a toddler, and scare her for life. Mary

If your rooster is attacking ANYONE, I think he needs to be dinner. How old is he? Some males develop more aggression as they get older. Either be certain that he can't ever get to anyone else, especially any child, or have him gone. He could seriously injure a toddler, and scare her for life. Mary

Thanks gadget girl! So for picking my breeder roo, should I avoid these ones that have smaller, not as red Combs?

He is 24 weeks old tomorrow. He is very passive with us and my 11, 12 year old children. Just acts strange around the grandbaby. She doesn't live here, so I am going to give him some time to see what happens. I mean, we can walk up to him and pick him up and sit him in our lap and pet him. He sometimes has this growl sound if we go into the coop when the hens r laying, and seems to watch us very closely, but has never been aggressive with anyone, except when he pecked her. The 2nd time I got her clear of him before he did anything, so I am not sure what he was trying to do.

We really love him, but trust me, if he continues, he will be a goner!! I will not ever allow her near him again either. The 1st time, I just thought it was some weird one time incident, but apparently not. :(

My SS chick is 1 week old today, and she is so funny! I'm brooding her with 2 BO's, but she is definitely the most entertaining! She stands in the bottom looking up at the edge and flaps those little bitty wings like crazy!!! She sure thinks she can fly!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom