The Sussex thread!

6y3a9yse.jpg

The more she grows the more I wonder, is this really a SS? She doesn't look ANYTHING like what my SS roos looked like at her age.

What would I get if I have a black orpington roo covering my speckled Sussex. Thanks for helping I'm lost in genetics

What would I get if I have a black orpington roo covering my speckled Sussex. Thanks for helping I'm lost in genetics

You'd get solid Black offspring, with varying degrees of red leakage, especially in the males, in the hackle, wings and saddles.

None of the birds will be visibly mottled, but all of the offspring will be recessively carrying the necessary genes to produce mottled birds.

Breed the offspring together and you will get a mix of different colors- mottled, speckled, black, etc.

Thank you , I don't have the money for jubilee orps but I have the time for this project

You'd get solid Black offspring, with varying degrees of red leakage, especially in the males, in the hackle, wings and saddles.

None of the birds will be visibly mottled, but all of the offspring will be recessively carrying the necessary genes to produce mottled birds.

Breed the offspring together and you will get a mix of different colors- mottled, speckled, black, etc.
I'm trying to get a handle on color genetics too. Just curious if the results would be different in the reverse mating. (Speckled over black) Is the speckled/mottled gene on the sex gene?

Quote:
It will not breed true to either color. Must be bred to either a Silver Sussex or a Light Sussex. I suggest a Light Sussex.
future generations will be to go with breeding it a tightly line-bred Light Sussex. The legs need to go back to "white with a pinkish cast". That is normal for a Sussex fowl.
in western PA, USA

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom