The Sussex thread!

[/URL]

The chicks are finally getting a few feathers. They seem to be more of a caramel color rather than the reddish color I've seen on Internet pictures.

Mine were like that as "kids" too. Then they got more russet colored and gots LOTS o' SPOTS. I love this breed. They're so fun!

Mine are very friendly with the other hens. I have a cuckoo marans, Annie, that's the boss and the sussex are fine with that. They're not super subservient, just stay out of her way and are like "Rasta chickens".. don't worry... bout a 'ting....

Thank you so much! I was worried that I could have some bossy hens. My BO's are very calm and gentle. I didn't want to upset them.

John - what is the side of your barn made of ? Mine burned down and I wanted a non-wood one - and no one here would build from sod, cob or other traditional English and earth stuff .... so I had to have a barn for the horses and gave in and got a wood one up .... :(

But yours looks like the type of material I wanted .....

My SS roo lost all his tail feather and now looks silly - all big roo and itsy bitsy little roo tail feathers. ha ha ha

John - what is the side of your barn made of ? Mine burned down and I wanted a non-wood one - and no one here would build from sod, cob or other traditional English and earth stuff .... so I had to have a barn for the horses and gave in and got a wood one up .... :(

But yours looks like the type of material I wanted .....

My SS roo lost all his tail feather and now looks silly - all big roo and itsy bitsy little roo tail feathers. ha ha ha

Erm not sure. Just bricks I think. Will get a closer look later as I have never took much notice!

I found my 7 week old SS female dead this afternoon. :( This is my 1st chicken to ever die, & I'm heartbroken!! She was so pretty! I couldn't wait til Spring when she could make babies!

Idk what happened. She seemed fine when I let them, her and my 2- 7 week old BOs, out into the enclosed run this morning. Then went back to switch them to prepare for the bigger free range chickens to come in at bedtime & she was gone. Nothing got ahold of her, she hadn't seemed ill. :(
equ2udep.jpg

Oh - so sorry ! Sometimes knowing makes it easier - not knowing, you always wonder if you missed something.

That is a tough age to lose too - as they are far enough along to have become a part of the day's routine.

Back
Top Bottom