The Sussex thread!

Just got back from holiday vacation and had my first egg as a late gift. It was so tiny as seen in the picture. I have two Speckled Sussex at 20 weeks. Does it happen sometimes that the first eggs are so small? I have one that is very healthy so don't think it is hers but maybe the one who shows symptoms of a D3 deficiency or something. Maybe it's a not healthy result. Anyway I am still very excited.

Just got back from holiday vacation and had my first egg as a late gift. It was so tiny as seen in the picture. I have two Speckled Sussex at 20 weeks. Does it happen sometimes that the first eggs are so small? I have one that is very healthy so don't think it is hers but maybe the one who shows symptoms of a D3 deficiency or something. Maybe it's a not healthy result. Anyway I am still very excited.

Small eggs are normal when they start laying, it will take a month or two to get to normal size. Enjoy your new eggs, very exciting. :)

Last edited:
Thought I'd refer this one to the 'experts'. I bought a SS who was 'off color' and the breeder thought it was a roo chick. I'm suspecting it's a pullet (not that I'll object...I got it for the speckle gene for a breeding project). It's standing next to my Icelandic 'Pullet' that I think is a roo. Anyone want to play 'guess that sex'?

Quote: What a lovely, typey little pullet egg! Nice color and shape! They will get bigger as she lays more eggs.
Best,
Karen

JOHN: Yeah, her background color is so deep and rich.

Fosterson: Looks like you could call that color Frosted Speckled Sussex :) I think you are right pullet and roo.

Back
Top Bottom