The Sussex thread!

We have a really small operation and were maxed at 11 chickens. We picked the five friendliest/funniest and sold the rest to make room for new breeds. We love the sussex, but only two were approachable (and only one likes to be handled). We've talked about babies but don't have the setup right now. I'm gathering up supplies to make a brooder.

Here's my current flock. I'm hoping to find something splash, buff laced, or otherwise not black.
big_smile.png

As you can see, I love talking about my chickens.
wink.png

I've been integrating 2 flocks of 7 each. They each have their own housing, but I let them out to free range together. They usually stick to their own flock but, lately, they've been mixing together in the yard. It's been gradual, but I think it's the easiest and least stressful way for them and for me.

I've been integrating 2 flocks of 7 each. They each have their own housing, but I let them out to free range together. They usually stick to their own flock but, lately, they've been mixing together in the yard. It's been gradual, but I think it's the easiest and least stressful way for them and for me.

I agree. We did that when we added the five SS to the existing flock. We had about a week of pecking order disputes, but nothing too serious. We added the two friendliest SS to the main coop for a few nights, then one night when I was late putting them to bed I found them all together. It was fine after that.

Funny seeing you in a different thread, 7. ;)

Our SS was not friendly when she was younger. We got her at 5 days old and handled her a lot. She was flighty and not social at all. One day when she was about 2 months old she suddenly decided she loves people. Now she follows us around the yard complaining that she isn't getting enough attention. Yep, she is very loud and talks constantly.

Our SS was not friendly when she was younger.  We got her at 5 days old and handled her a lot.  She was flighty and not social at all.  One day when she was about 2 months old she suddenly decided she loves people.  Now she follows us around the yard complaining that she isn't getting enough attention.  Yep, she is very loud and talks constantly. 

I love that about the sussex! Mine are constantly underfoot or examining my hands and scolding me when I don't have treats. Even the less friendly ones would join in. :)

Our SS was not friendly when she was younger. We got her at 5 days old and handled her a lot. She was flighty and not social at all. One day when she was about 2 months old she suddenly decided she loves people. Now she follows us around the yard complaining that she isn't getting enough attention. Yep, she is very loud and talks constantly.

Our female is the same way, although she has been friendly since day 1. Our rooster on the other hand has been friendly since day 1 than at 8 months decided he likes to charge people. He doesn't do it as much now though. But all of our chickens will come running as soon as they see you, Ducks too. They think everytime we come outside we should have treats! haha

I love that about the sussex! Mine are constantly underfoot or examining my hands and scolding me when I don't have treats. Even the less friendly ones would join in.
smile.png

Our female is the same way, although she has been friendly since day 1. Our rooster on the other hand has been friendly since day 1 than at 8 months decided he likes to charge people. He doesn't do it as much now though. But all of our chickens will come running as soon as they see you, Ducks too. They think everytime we come outside we should have treats! haha
I think my "mutt" must have some Sussex in her. She's LOUD & it sounds like she's always whining " Trrreeeats....Treeeeeeats" as she follows me around She also stands on my feet until I pick her up. There are only so many chores I can do one-handed, so as soon as she gets put down, she starts whining again. She's also a camera hog. I can never take pics of anything while she's in my lap. Notice the group of hens under the tree? - my intended pic.

I think my "mutt" must have some Sussex in her. She's LOUD & it sounds like she's always whining " Trrreeeats....Treeeeeeats" as she follows me around She also stands on my feet until I pick her up. There are only so many chores I can do one-handed, so as soon as she gets put down, she starts whining again. She's also a camera hog. I can never take pics of anything while she's in my lap. Notice the group of hens under the tree? - my intended pic.

I swear chickens are the best pets in the world. Not only do they entertain, they provide breakfast. Can your average dog or cat do that?

My cat brought me a shrew yesterday. What a nice gift. Then the chickens killed the shrew but didn't eat it.

I also have a Barred rock hen that is a talker. I used to think she was really loud...that was until the Sussex grew up and found her voice. LOL

Back
Top Bottom