The Sussex thread!

Thanks :) The rooster is going through an attitude adjustment. If he didn't actually protect the hens he would be gone. But he's too beautiful LOL

My SS roo attacked me last summer when I had a huge bowl of feed. He wasn't attacking for food. He spurred my leg. I let it go the 1st time, regained my composure. Next day, same thing. I put him (Sue) in a dog crate for 2 weeks. He was madder than a hornet, but he did adjust his attitude
big_smile.png
Not had any problems since. He is the only rooster running loose now watching over 40+ hens. And he does an awesome job.

My SS roo attacked me last summer when I had a huge bowl of feed. He wasn't attacking for food. He spurred my leg. I let it go the 1st time, regained my composure. Next day, same thing. I put him (Sue) in a dog crate for 2 weeks. He was madder than a hornet, but he did adjust his attitude
big_smile.png
Not had any problems since. He is the only rooster running loose now watching over 40+ hens. And he does an awesome job.

He attacks me almost every day!! LOL I'll try the dog crate thing and see if it helps. I know when my drakes were being mean to eachother I locked the bully up in the run for 2 days...never had an issue since. But sadly lost 1 drake.

What did you expect if you named him Sue? HAHA. Just like the Johnny Cash song, it makes him a fighter. :)
Yeap! That's why I named him that. And he lives true to his name! I have had such a hard time finding and keeping SS hens though. I really want to breed him with some SS hens. One good thing is he has made some gorgeous RIR/SS cross hens. They are super curious like the SS breed and very sweet.

Hi All,
Although I've had other breeds of chickens for a few years now, this is my first experience with Speckled Sussex. I recently got chicks from a local breeder that I've come to learn may have misrepresented her birds. I'm hoping those of you with more experience can help me by looking at this 6 week old chick that I think may be a Speckled Sussex pullet. As a chick she did have the chipmunk coloring and a pretty sharp triangle on the top of her head. I thought she would have more of the typical "speckles" by now. She has a hatch mate that has a larger comb and wattles and a lot of black in it's feathers, but my camera battery died mid-photo-session so I'll have to post his later.

Any comments will be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

(click to enlarge)

Back
Top Bottom