The Sussex thread!

She's sure a looker!
droolin.gif
Thank you :)

My SandHill 'packing peanuts' eight red sussex. Didn't order them they came free, didn't plan on keeping them until I read up on sussex, now I can't wait for them to grow out. I think they're keepers.

At least that's what SandHill told me they are red sussex, what do you all think? I can't find any pics of the chicks, only what they look like full grown.

Last edited:
My SandHill 'packing peanuts' eight red sussex. Didn't order them they came free, didn't plan on keeping them until I read up on sussex, now I can't wait for them to grow out. I think they're keepers.

At least that's what SandHill told me they are red sussex, what do you all think? I can't find any pics of the chicks, only what they look like full grown.

How'd you talk your wife into keeping them, lol?

Thanks! His comb was a lot better but he lost all points over the winter. I was pretty disappointed. That was my first winter with chickens, so hopefully that won't happen anymore.
hmm.png

Love the size of the chest on your rooster, I've never looked up Sussex until I was sent the ones I have now. Lost his points? From what? Can't be frostbite if your in Louisiana?
We had below zero all winter with -25 windchill most nights, months of it I thought they were all going to die, especially the polish, everyone did fine and a few laid all winter!. Our leghorn hens with their big floppy combs, no frostbite. Welsummer rooster had minor comb frostbite, nothing on the wattles, he lost no points.

Love the size of the chest on your rooster, I've never looked up Sussex until I was sent the ones I have now. Lost his points? From what? Can't be frostbite if your in Louisiana?
 We had below zero all winter with -25 windchill most nights, months of it I thought they were all going to die, especially the polish, everyone did fine and a few laid all winter!. Our leghorn hens with their big floppy combs, no frostbite. Welsummer rooster had minor comb frostbite, nothing on the wattles, he lost no points. 

It was frostbite. My coop didn't have enough ventilation to allow the moisture to escape. We had a couple of hard freezes; after that the comb became discolored, shriveled up, and the hens picked them off. It was a very long and distressing process, for me.

This is when I got him and his three hens back in October. I think he was about 8 months old. He's really filled out a lot, especially in the last 6 months or so. I picked up the quad from a sale ad for $30. Best decision of my entire life.

Here's a pic of my only sussex enjoying one of those few sunny days we've had. (It's been raining & flooding since May.) And yes, she's wearing a cape. (My daughter likes to play dress up with the hens) This girl is huge - as big as my orpingtons - and very sweet.

Back
Top Bottom