The Sussex thread!

This one is supposed to be a female. 2 1/2 weeks old. What do you think?

It seems like I was worried about that too and then it was like their tails sprouted over night! Here's a progression of them every week or so. They're both pullets.

Sorry the quality isn't that great on some of them.

Figured you guys might have experience with Sussex roosters and was wondering for any comments on them

Mine can be kind of a jerk. He's spurred me twice, but both times I was handling birds that put up a fuss. He also spurred my dog (Weimaraner/lab mix) last week. But I free range them, so I'm glad he's a jerk. He was already about 8 mos old when I got him and hadn't been handled much. He doesn't charge me in the yard and doesn't mind me around, as long as I don't pick anyone up. Then I have to watch my back.

As far as the flock is concerned, he's very gentle with the hens (no bare backs) and sweet/fatherly with the chicks. I have a bunch of 4 mos roos coming up (his offspring) and he's yet to show them any sort of aggression. If any one member of the flock makes distress calls, he runs straight over. I watched him run after a coyote, once. So that's why he gets to stay, despite his occasional aggression.

Figured you guys might have experience with Sussex roosters and was wondering for any comments on them

We've had our SS rooster (Sue) for over 2 years now. We have several other roosters as we have 145+chickens. Sue is the leader of the flock. He has been the best! He did spur me a couple times last spring. I was carrying feed buckets & he caused me to spill it. I got so mad the 2nd time, I put him in a dog crate for 2 weeks to give him an attitude adjustment. After I thought it all thru, I realized I had been trying to get them back to the coop earlier than normal those 2 days and I think Sue was just not happy that I was changing up things a bit and that he was not in control.

He is a very good rooster with good temperament.

I have 3 Speckled Sussex males (Giles, BokBok and Marvin) to 13 females and they're all lovely to me and to each other. We haven't had any problems what so ever. However a couple of years ago I had one nasty Speckeld Sussex Cockerel ( Bernard) who had 3 hens and he spurred me constantly to the point that he ended up in the pot! As a rule I only keep/breed from good natured cockerels :)

Hi John, I see you post pictures of your birds on The New Poultry Pages on facebook from time to time. You take some great photos. Dorothy in particular is beautiful, what breeder is she from?
Oh are you on that group too?? And thank you! I got her from someone on Facebook who I got my Buff Orpingtons off. I got her as a day old chick for one of the BUff Orp's I bought from them. I'm not sure if she still breeds Speckled Sussex or not!

Back
Top Bottom