The Sussex thread!

That's awful.  So sorry for your loss.  If you can't find a local breeder, you could try a farm store. (Farm and Fleet, Rural King, TSC, Big R, etc.)  In our region we see abundant chicks in April - sometimes thru May.  Because they buy in bulk, the prices are great and they will at least be alive when you pick them out.  Some let you special order the breeds you want.

Unfortunately the hatchery that supplies all of my local farm stores does not do Sussex. I may still get some chicks from Farm and Fleet but I might have to order by mail to get SS.

Last edited:
Dorothy
12744259_10204033881206989_2242162639767673017_n.jpg

12718364_10204033881406994_8760624865225209216_n.jpg

I am not currently a sussex owner, but plan to be soon. I was thinking of getting a light buff and speckled - as they are all so beautiful! However I am also bearing in mind egg production, and was wondering whether one colour was generally a better layer? I know that it also depends partly on the strain - show or production, but any experiences with eggage greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
I am not currently a sussex owner, but plan to be soon. I was thinking of getting a light buff and speckled - as they are all so beautiful! However I am also bearing in mind egg production, and was wondering whether one colour was generally a better layer? I know that it also depends partly on the strain - show or production, but any experiences with eggage greatly appreciated! Thanks!

We have a SS and she lays practically everyday (5 days in a row and then one or two days off). She'll be a year old in May. Her eggs are generally around 60 grams.

Anyone care to weigh in? Speckled Sussex? I got some Welsummers too, could be that? I have a couple with spots on their head like this one

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom