The Sussex thread!

How are SS as chicks?  Personality wise?  I have 5 and man they want nothing to do with us yet, very skittish.  I do have 19 chicks total so maybe that plays into it?  The Wellies are the same way.  They're all a week old today.  The SS are SO pretty already!  I just want to love on them, but they are like NO WAY JOSE! :idunno
P
KEEP A CHAIR IN THE RUN. SIT WITH MINI MARSHMALLOW BITS IN ONE HAND IN LAP. START WITH ONE CHICK (mark her leg or put on a ring) AND GIVE A marshmellow BIT AT YOUR FOOT...THEN AT KNEE.....THEN WORK TO HAVE HER HOP TO LAP....WHEN SHE SUCCEEDS THE NEXT hen WILL FOLLOW.etc. Practice your PATIENCE.
THE OLDER, LAYING HENS WILL BE LESS FLIGHTY ..THEY HAVE TO go through the teenage phase.
Later change to mealworms. Routine time of day and a verbal sound prior to sitting in chair trains them. Be as consistant as life lets you.

Last edited:

Sussex or no?? Trying to determine breed..

Does any one know how many eggs on average a speckled Sussex would lay a week? I'm probably will be getting them from TSC (if they have them). My sister and I are getting very close to get 6 chickens as a hobby/school project and also for some fresh eggs. My sister wants to only get 2 breeds Campine and Easter Eggers,but I also really want to get a Speckled Sussex. She is apposed to the idea because 1 she is worried that they will not lay enough eggs and 2 because she is also worried that if we get to many breeds of chickens they will not get along well. So how many eggs do you think your Speckled Sussex lays and will they go well with Easter Eggers and Campines?

Does any one know how many eggs on average a speckled Sussex would lay a week? I'm probably will be getting them from TSC (if they have them). My sister and I are getting very close to get 6 chickens as a hobby/school project and also for some fresh eggs. My sister wants to only get 2 breeds Campine and Easter Eggers,but I also really want to get a Speckled Sussex. She is apposed to the idea because 1 she is worried that they will not lay enough eggs and 2 because she is also worried that if we get to many breeds of chickens they will not get along well. So how many eggs do you think your Speckled Sussex lays  and will they go well with Easter Eggers and Campines?

This is my egg chart . On the left are recent dates and all the way on the right is Atika, our SS. She lays a nice egg basically everyday. We have a mixed flock including Leghorns and Silkies. She does well with everyone.

We have 8 week Speckled Sussex and are enjoying them
1f60a.png
Not sure of the sexes though. These are the first chicks we are raising. We also just got week old Chanteclers.

Back
Top Bottom