The Sussex thread!

For all Sussex lovers! Please consider joining the American Sussex Association [COLOR=005CB1]www.americansussex.org[/COLOR]

We would love some new members, especially folks that are interested in exhibition of Sussex in the US.

We also have a facebook page! [COLOR=005CB1]http://www.facebook.com/groups/AmericanSussexAssociation/
[/COLOR]
Thanks for this link! Excited to learn more about the breed. I'm getting these two in two days!

Nope, chickens are individuals and rooster character can vary. I'm only commenting because I waited a long, long time to get a sussex rooster of any kind, I wound up with a coronation cockerel like those, and after about a month he became an assassin bird and will be put down probably this weekend. Many are sweet. Some are not. It's often genetic and aggression follows family lines. Mine is sweet until he randomly decides to attack you, then for the rest of the day it's nonstop with the bruising and biting and trying to spar with your legs even through fences. Wish I could get my sussex fix taken care of because I have a hen that minus molting feather loss is quite a looker confirmation and marking wise, but there's no way that's happening up here without culling through hatchery stock. I hope you have better luck than I did!

Last edited:
Nope, chickens are individuals and rooster character can vary. I'm only commenting because I waited a long, long time to get a sussex rooster of any kind, I wound up with a coronation cockerel like those, and after about a month he became an assassin bird and will be put down probably this weekend. Many are sweet. Some are not. It's often genetic and aggression follows family lines. Mine is sweet until he randomly decides to attack you, then for the rest of the day it's nonstop with the bruising and biting and trying to spar with your legs even through fences. Wish I could get my sussex fix taken care of because I have a hen that minus molting feather loss is quite a looker confirmation and marking wise, but there's no way that's happening up here without culling through hatchery stock. I hope you have better luck than I did!

Ohh no! I hope so too! A nasty rooster won't make it long around here. I have only read and heard wonderful things, so it's probably good to prepare myself for all possibilities. Thanks for your input.

Question about winter laying:

I have a sussex who started laying early summer (April hatch) who's last egg was a week ago. Do they take a break over winter? Or do I need to start checking for signs of her being egg bound? My EEs have closed up shop for the winter, but they're also molting as they're older. The rest are still putting out eggs but at a slower rate, she's the only one who's stopped. Thanks!

Yeah, I think mine is just a bad one. I got unlucky. I shouldn't be too sad because there are lots of "fish in the sea" so to speak, especially this time of year. That thread has already been scoured for any tips I've missed for him. This week it helped a little bit to put him in a crate at roosting time and let him out separately from the rest when I was ready, and helping him remember who is in charge of flock affairs, but he's already started getting his nerve back and starting to argue back in the form of crowding people in the pen even when there are hens to cover and food to eat. This morning the wing flapping and crowing directly at me as he follows me around re-began. Picking him up helped for the last few days, but not so much now. He just recovers faster and faster each time. He'll taste good at least. I may have to find a different breed because my area is lacking in breeding flocks of sussex, which is a shame, because they seem perfect in every other way, but hey, I've got to work with what I've got. I'll just be keeping an eye out for sussex in the future.

Ohh no! I hope so too! A nasty rooster won't make it long around here. I have only read and heard wonderful things, so it's probably good to prepare myself for all possibilities. Thanks for your input.
Don't worry too much. From what I hear, my cockerel is the exception, not the rule. I'm sure you'll love your guys. The hens are certainly sweet, and before my guy's switch flipped, he was very charming and endearing! Your flock is going to be awesome!

Back
Top Bottom