The Sussex thread!

Pics
Quote:
Can you tell the difference in a light sussex and a coronation at hatch? I have split sussex eggs hatching right now.

sorry I don't know i only raise the coronations

Hey all those sussex, fans a friend in BC sent me.
I saw one of the Light Sussex from Greenfire -- it was presented at the FVPFA Winter Show here last October. It did not look like a correct Light Sussex at all; it looked like an Orpington with light Columbian feathers. It placed last in the Light Sussex group at the show. The judge told me that if no other LS had been shown, he would have had to disqualify the Greenfire bird because it did not conform to the APA standard for the breed. I am hoping that people eager to breed larger Light Sussex do not cross these Australian birds with Canadian LS, because the larger body would be gained at the price of slower growth rate and probably many other different characteristics of these birds. It's the old trap of mistaking a beautiful set of feathers for the bird! Light Sussex was a well established production breed before the Brits even chose the light Columbian feather pattern for them. They were developed to produce the biggest carcass (meat, not just bones!) at 16 weeks old. That's THE most important thing.

I hope to work with Canadian LS this year, if every thing goes well.

Also do you think this is a pure LS sussex?

HY-X-LS-cross-and-Pure-HY-004.jpg

HY-X-LS-cross-and-Pure-HY-003.jpg

Quote:
No, you can not tell at hatch. You will be able to see in a couple weeks or so.

Thanks. there are five already hatched so even if there isnt a coronation in the bunch, there is still a 66% chance that those will be splits. I'll keep you updated.

I just love my 2 Speckled Sussex (Gia & Lacey). They are so sweet, mild mannered, will eat from my hand, and stealthy enough to steal from my food box I carry to feed them. I am actually looking into maybe getting more because they are so sweet and have really won my heart quickly!!

Lacey is the one with her head in the food box with the Wyandotte, while Gia, at the bottom stands guard and is the lookout!
73153_img00320-20110316-0933.jpg

Can I get some opinions on the sex of my chicks? Here's a picture of each of the 7 remaining chicks from the hatch I did on 01/29/11
Thanks!!!
big_smile.png

Chick #1
7110_102_0333.jpg

Chick #2
7110_102_0336.jpg

Chick #3
7110_102_0338.jpg

Chick #4
7110_102_0340.jpg

Chick #5 (this one is definately a hen in my opinion!)
7110_102_0341.jpg

Chick #6
7110_102_0344.jpg

Chick #7
7110_102_0346.jpg

Any feedback would be awesome!!! Thanks!!!

Quote:
I could certainly be wrong (and have been before!) but they all look girly to me. All my boys had more wattle development at this age.

Quote:
I could certainly be wrong (and have been before!) but they all look girly to me. All my boys had more wattle development at this age.

There is one in there (I believe #3) that is the splitting image of his daddy. I'm pretty sure that one is a cockerel. I wing sexed the group as 5 pullets and 2 cockerels when they were 2 days old. (1st time wing sexing) I really can't tell for sure yet just by looking at them...but I don't want to sit here and raise up 6 roo's
lol.png

I like your reply more then the one on the Michigan thread...because someone on there said 6 cockerels and 1 pullet...but then again if you don't raise the breed it's hard to tell sometimes.
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom