Pics
Quote:
6 weeks old

Here is my 7 week old cockerel - -

I am thinking you have a pullet!
woot.gif

IMG_1844.jpg

Last edited:
JulB, I have a SS chick that looks just like yours, and I am also on the fence about the gender. I'm leaning toward roo, though, but hoping for pullet.
smile.png

Quote:
So are we. We purchased 3 pullet day old chicks from a hatchery. 2 Sussex and 1 brahma. The brahma didn't make it through the first night and it vey possible one of the Sussex is a roo which we can't keep.

We don't want one lonely chick so Friday we got 2 amber links about the same age.

I'm still hoping the Sussex is a pullet though.

My beloved hen Bella was killed about 6 weeks ago by a fox- who also got three of my EEs. She was amazingly friendly, and LOVED to forage.
51059_100_9014.jpg

So, we got two new ones. Only out of the mini-coop (in the larger coop for a week) and into they barn, they are BRAVE. They hear my husband or I and come running, peeping for the other girlies the whole way, but FIRST out in front!! I haven't named them yet, because I can't tell them apart. For all I know, these are the same bird...
lol.png

51059_100_9204.jpg

51059_100_9197.jpg

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your little Bella.
hugs.gif

I am convinced that the speckled Sussex is the Ultimate breed in personality, and chicken smarts and so glad that you got more! I've only ever had 2 my Uno and Dottie (Dottie) was taken by a raccoon several weeks ago so I feel your pain. My Uno is so sweet and so smart I had to get more too, I special ordered 5 more little girls and they are all sweet and not a bit afraid of people at six weeks (almost 7) and one sweetpea, would prefer to be with me at all times instead of with the other girls.
I hope that your new little girls turn out as sweet, loving and beautiful as your Bella. Theres just something about these Speckled girls that digs into your heart! Sandy

I've got 16 speckled sussex in one pen. . . They are around 3 months old. . ..

I call them my NAUGHTY GIRLS. . . . .

I have never had chickens who are so outgoing. They jump on a chair, hop on the coop door, fly to the top of the roof of the coop, AND then jump / fly over the fence to hang out on the wrong side of their run. Just plain NAUGHTY GIRLS. When you pick them up to discuss the wrongness of their ways, they chat non-stop about the wrongness of my correction of their misbehavior. ..

NAUGHTY NAUGTHY Girls those Speckled sussex. Chatty Boxes who insist on doing it THEIR WAY!

Back
Top Bottom