The Sussex thread!

Pics
generally speaking, how old are Speckled Sussex when they start to lay? Just need to know when to uncover the nest boxes in the coop.
love.gif

Quote:
LOL!!!

He is a VERY pretty roo. Actually I think all the Sussex varieties are just so special and gorgeous. My VERY FIRST chicken was a speckled Sussex from the feed store. I loved her very much. I had to give her away due to our living situation back then, and I went a long time without chickens after that, and just recently got my new flock in Feb of last year. I was really excited to find another Sussex this year to add to my flock, especially one as pretty and sweet as the one I got from OntheSpot. I hope you all know I wasn't serious about my claim to the most beautiful chicken, I'm just a VERY happy chicken mom, that likes to show off my sweet fluffy butts.

I almost bought a coronation Sussex from OntheSpot the day I picked out Daisy. She has some beautiful ones, but for my purpose, which is just eggs and enjoyment, I couldn't rationalize the extra $$. I believe Daisy is split for coronation, but that doesn't do me any good with the roos I have.
tongue2.gif

Joe is your roo for rent??
big_smile.png

Someday, I wish to have more property, and do the breeding thing. I really enjoy all my chickens so much. But for now, I have a pretty small, but very spoiled "motley" flock.

I can't believe this. First attempt with Speckled sussex.....they were not SS but mutts. Second attempt....had to euthanize due to a respiratory problem. So I found more....a gorgeous 18 week old trio plus a couple extra roos. They were in a very secure quarantine pen for the last week. Well, this morning I went outside to find them all dead. My son's dog decided to pay us a visit last night. I found 4 of them in the yard, the 5th one's mostly eaten body up near the barn and close to his own home (along with a chicken feeder and a bag of koi food...why he took a chicken feeder is beyond me). the 6th one is still MIA. So that's 3 times I have tried to have this wonderful gorgeous breed and 3 times I failed. So that's it....I guess I'll have to be content with Delawares and BLRWs. I am just SO upset.

The dog is being either rehomed or buried this weekend. I really don't care which. I am just thankful it was the chickens and not my sheep. The sheep might be next on his list though.

This dog has been a problem for years. He is usually a very sweet calm dog. But when it storms, he flips out. He rips right through chain link fence. If he is chained (which he was last night), he spins and spins until the chain is a big knot and either the chain breaks of the collar breaks. Electric fences do not phase him when he is in panic mode. The pen I had these chickens in was very strong but the dog ripped it apart. My own pit bull was inside last night or she would have alerted us to his presense but she hates storms too. I know it's not the dog's fault....he is what he is. But given his issues, what would you suggest? Should we allow him to stay here and wait until the next storm, when he rips into my sheep pen instead? I have an Anatolian puppy on the way, but he won't be a reliable LGD for a long time. I don't know what else I can do to protect my animals but remove the offending animals from the picture. It's not like I was just letting these chickens free-range....their cage was secure agaisnt normal dogs and other predators. Just not a 100 pound pit bull in panic mode.

Back
Top Bottom