The Sussex thread!

My SS chicks are 4 wks. and I have some of the same questions, I ordered 6 sexed pullets from MPC and I think I have at least 2 if not 3 roos arg..
rant.gif
I want to know when I'll be able to tell for sure. They are really changing a lot and are big but my last chicks were Bantam cochins so that does influnece memory
big_smile.png

I am so excited. I am getting some coronation sussex next week. I think they are just stunning birds. I also have some blue and splash marans coming so I guess I am on a blue/lavender kick.

Heres my new babies and my 13 1/2 week old Sissy Sussex LOL
81831_img_1165.jpg

81831_img_1175.jpg

81831_img_1183.jpg

81831_img_1184.jpg

81831_img_1185.jpg

81831_img_1186.jpg

81831_img_1182.jpg

81831_img_1181.jpg

This one is my resiident runt, peawee, she has crooked toes and is half the size of the others....... has been the smallest all along.
81831_img_1179.jpg

81831_img_1189.jpg

Don't mind the barred rocks or Delawares they are camera hogs hehehehe.

Last edited:
Is the Speckled Gene Dominate ???

I am wanting to cross Light sussex Pullet with a Speckeld Sussex Male. To get larger size & better type in speckled Sussex.

Is it possible to get speckled birds in the 1st generation ?

Speckled Roo X Light Hens.

Most Speckled sussex I've seen are very bad in type, most I have seen almost resemble a spangled gamefowl ( Very ScragallyLooking)
lol.png
& not a standard meaty type sussex.

I am considering Crossing the two color sussex to get larger & better type in speckled sussex but need proffesional advise on this color crossing ?

PM ME WITH ANY INFO
smile.png

THANK YOU
wink.png

I am excited and anxious all at the same time. I bought 19 Speckled Sussex eggs from Georgia and have them in the incubator right now. Having problems keeping my temperature where it should be in the LG though. I have a new incubator ordered that should arrive by Wednesday, and I am hoping they will make it until then.

Anyway, I love the Speckled Sussex and hope to have some soon. I think they are one of the best looking chickens there are. I'll put some pictures to bother you all with if I get any to hatch.
smile.png

My first SS hatched yesterday but died. I had issues with my humidity. The membrane was stuck to it and it had pipped all the way around. I helped
he.gif
and it was doing well last night at 5 but was dead at 9. Ugh. I have 21 SS eggs in the incubator now less than a week along. I have more coming too.
clap.gif
Hope I get the humidity figured out soon.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom