The Sussex thread!

My fatty Coro babies, who are now with their adopted broody momma, are getting BIG! I think these chooks might end up being nearly the same size as my English Orps. Maybe...

IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

So what does everyone do in a few years with the coronation sussex and no real influx of new blood. Won't they all be inbred to some degree in just a few years?
I really, really like the coloring of the coro sussex but am curious to know what will happen.
Are there any good breeders here in the states?

Quote:
You could outcross to Orpingtons, they have the same general shape and standard specifications, with some exceptions. The you would just have to work on reestablishing the Coronation color and breed towards the standard.

Here are my two Speckled Sussex....Miss Piggy and TR (The Rooster), they are almost 14 weeks. The rooster is going to be going to go live on a farm near me soon. So glad I found someone to take him; can't have roosters in the city.

Miss Piggy
36468_misspiggy_6-17.jpg

T.R.
36468_the_roo_6-17.jpg

I see two hens no rooster there, my baby roosters 4 weeks old have more and redder combs?? are you sure TR is a rooster does he crow? some hens do crow, did you know that? I read it here somewhere I didn't know that either.
rooster
81831_img_1183.jpg

Hens
81831_img_1184.jpg

now I ain't 100% possitive yet there only 4 weks......but look at the red comb on that boy
This is my 14 week old pullet
81831_img_1165.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going by behavior, and his/her feathering is different than the pullet. I got them when they were two days old, and compared their wing feathers to a link I think I found here somewhere.....going by the pics he was the only one with rooster wings. No, he hasn't crowed yet but he has started making some growling goose-like noises....LOL! I have been wondering about his hackle & saddle feathers....they aren't as rounded as Miss Piggy's but they don't seem very pointed either. I will get better pics tomorrow and post them here.

Quote:
Speckled sussex girls are extremely talkative. The do not talk like other birds.... it is like cooing with gowling mixed in for reflection.
It sounds like TR may just be the alpha pullet. SHE will probably be the one that follows you around the yard 24 /7.
SHE is looking all girly.... Don't send her to the farm yet!

If that farm of yours is hard up for an SS rooster, hook them up with me. I have about 8 SS cockerels in the bachelor pad!
I can confidently say TR looks all girl!

Back
Top Bottom