The Sussex thread!

My light/split coro rooster flogged me. I was just walking to the chicken house and he came up behind me. I was wearing shorts and he drew blood. The only other time he did that was when I was holding one of his hens and she was making a lot of noise. It really surprised me. Did not think he would do that. He is or was a really nice rooster. I guess I will keep him. After the treatment I gave him afterwards maybe he won't do it again.

Quote:
If you feather sexed them it was proubly wrong as I don't know any one who has breed Speckled Sussex for feather sexing.

The breeder flock for the female line must be slow feathering only, and the breeder flock for the male line must be fast feathering only. To breed for the chicks you would then cross the slow feathering females with the fast feathering males. The resulting offspring would be the opposite of their parents. Females fast feathering and the males slow feathering.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKFeathSex.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1974-05-01/How-to-Sex-Day-Old-Chicks.aspx

Quote:
Try catching and carring him around for about a week when ever you go in the pen,that will show him your the boss.

I'll try that. Thanks

I've hatched 18 Speckled Sussex from 3 seperate breeders (all non hatchery) At what point do I start looking for the best traits in them to know which ones to proceed with?? They are now 15 weeks, 13 weeks & 10 weeks old! It seems like they are still changing so I wasn't sure!!

Thanks,
Missi

Quote:
Thanks I've been following that thread too!!
smile.png

Quote:
smile.png

Whatcha waiting on Barred Babies ? ? ? I KNOW you are waiting for the Juvie molt that occurs aournd 4 - 5 months of age.
So around, 20 weeks or so is a good time to Post some pics on the link Jim sent you.

My oldest group is very close to the 20 week mark. I just ordered some numbered leg bands.
As soon as they get here, I am going to tag and photograph them.
I'll post them on that link Jim sent you and have some past SS breeders come critique them for me.

Quote:
smile.png

Whatcha waiting on Barred Babies ? ? ? I KNOW you are waiting for the Juvie molt that occurs aournd 4 - 5 months of age.
So around, 20 weeks or so is a good time to Post some pics on the link Jim sent you.

My oldest group is very close to the 20 week mark. I just ordered some numbered leg bands.
As soon as they get here, I am going to tag and photograph them.
I'll post them on that link Jim sent you and have some past SS breeders come critique them for me.

Thanks for the info!!
big_smile.png
I have mine banded by breeder right now. Can't wait to see your pics!!
smile.png

None of the light Sussex I bought/tried to hatch was good. Is there anyone who will be at the Crossroads this fall who will have a trio of light Sussex, reasonable priced, that they'd sell? I'm also interested in some red and speckled. (Reasonable = fair priced for what they are...I don't expect $5 each there.)

Back
Top Bottom