The Sussex thread!

92244_img_3666_2.jpg

David at 9 weeks old!
He's crowing and has gotten earlier at it every morning. Thank goodness we finally got them in the coop.

Quote:
This makes it very obvious the SS I thought was a roo sure is NOT! So glad 'he' wasn't taken to the farm, though I'm sure the gal who was going to take 'him' would have let me have 'her' back....LOL!! Both of mine are 14 weeks and their combs & wattles aren't even half the size of his.

I have two youngsters that are about 12 weeks old. I got them from TSC at about 1 week old. They got red faces and combs pretty early, but because I haven't had SS chicks before, I couldn't be sure if that was breed spefic or roo characteristics. One of them crowed today!! Scared the heck out of me!! It was failry dark in the barn and I was getting everything ready before I left for work.

Anyway both have red combs and wattles. Does that mean both are roos? I will get pictures tomorrow, but I was hoping someone can post pix of their 12 week olds, so I can compare!

The other problem, I have two adult hens and 4 other 12 week old chicks- who don't have much of any comb or wattle yet- so.... two roos with 4 hens? Ugh.

What is the personalilty of SS roos? I had a terrible expereince last spring with a BIG black roo- I forget his bread- and we culled him after he drew blood on me and the kids. I wil not do that again, so.... hoping maybe I can keep one.

thanks!

Heres my newest SS girls!
20212_photo-0169.jpg
20212_photo-0163.jpg
20212_photo-0175.jpg
20212_photo-0178.jpg
20212_photo-0162.jpg
Thanks for looking Sandy
Oops forgot to mention they are about 11 weeks old. also they are just starting to pink up but no wattles to speak of.

Last edited:
We have one Speckled Sussex chick who may very well be a cockerel, although sexed at the hatchery as a pullet. We do need to wait a few more weeks to confirm gender, but if a cockerel, I would like to try to rehome him to someone who WILL NOT slaughter him. Would anyone in the New England area be interested in a Speckled Sussex cockerel? If so, I will drive him to you, anywhere in New England, when the time comes to give him away. I'll repost as we watch this chick develop and are more certain of gender, but I wanted to put this out there for anyone who might be interested to consider. He will not go to a home where he will be slaughtered, however.

Quote:
David is so cute!

love.gif

Thank you! We are thinking of keeping him now. My daughter loves him.

Back
Top Bottom