The Sussex thread!

Quote:
How old are the chickies when you start to give them Laying pellets? Mine are now 14 weeks old and are on the grower pellets.

just started them today when I found the first egg. I generally wait till they lay their first egg then start with the layer pellets but because I have them in with the big girls I just put the starter/grower in a seperate bowl for the younger ones and they eat mostly that though Im sure that they have gotten into the layer pellets now and again. so I just took out the starter crumbles. I don't know which one it was though. Im thinking it was either sweetpea or percy since their combs are the most red looking.
20212_photo-0175.jpg
Sweetpea is the one in the far left corner in the back she is my prime suspect! LOL

Last edited:
Quote:
How old are the chickies when you start to give them Laying pellets? Mine are now 14 weeks old and are on the grower pellets.

just started them today when I found the first egg. I generally wait till they lay their first egg then start with the layer pellets but because I have them in with the big girls I just put the starter/grower in a seperate bowl for the younger ones and they eat mostly that though Im sure that they have gotten into the layer pellets now and again. so I just took out the starter crumbles. I don't know which one it was though. Im thinking it was either sweetpea or percy since their combs are the most red looking.https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20212_photo-0175.jpgSweetpea is the one in the far left corner in the back she is my prime suspect! LOL

Is the really red combs a sign of ready or already laying eggs? I'm a new mom, they are 14 weeks old.

Quote:
just started them today when I found the first egg. I generally wait till they lay their first egg then start with the layer pellets but because I have them in with the big girls I just put the starter/grower in a seperate bowl for the younger ones and they eat mostly that though Im sure that they have gotten into the layer pellets now and again. so I just took out the starter crumbles. I don't know which one it was though. Im thinking it was either sweetpea or percy since their combs are the most red looking.https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20212_photo-0175.jpgSweetpea is the one in the far left corner in the back she is my prime suspect! LOL

Is the really red combs a sign of ready or already laying eggs? I'm a new mom, they are 14 weeks old.

yes it gets really red on the girls when they are close to laying eggs. thats what makes me think it is sweetpea or percy though their comb are small yet but really red.

Last edited:
Quote:

yes it gets really red on the girls when they are close to laying eggs. thats what makes me think it is sweetpea or percy though their comb are small yet but really red.

It seems the combs are redder on my chicks too. Should I start feeding the layer pellets? I just got them today. Will it hurt them if I start at 14 rather than 16 weeks? Will it get them to lay eggs sooner?

Quote:

It seems the combs are redder on my chicks too. Should I start feeding the layer pellets? I just got them today. Will it hurt them if I start at 14 rather than 16 weeks? Will it get them to lay eggs sooner?

I would personally wait till they started laying, I don't think that it would hurt them but they don't really need the extra Calsium (sp) till they start producing the eggs. But thats just my opinion others might think differently though. Does sound like your girls might be getting close, my first SS's didn't start laying til much later so it surprised me that this girl started so early.
smile.png
It won't make them lay any faster. have your girls started squatting yet, that is a really good sign too that they are getting closer to laying.
Squatting is when you reach down and pat their back and they squat down like the would for a Roo to mount and breed them. ? If there doing that along with the red comb your girls are getting very close.

Last edited:
I just have to share this photo I took today of Maggie! She's 15 weeks now.

I'm also wondering, she has green iridescence in ALL of the black on her and shines like crazy in the sun. Is this normal and I haven't noticed it in other people's photos or is she an oddball?

77440_p1040725.jpg

(and how do you make portrait photos not appear sideways?)

Quote:
Do you just have the 1 SS? I am thinking that Maggie might be a Roo. hard to tell in this picture.

If she's a roo, I have one confused little cockerel because she's been getting some lovin' on a regular basis.
lol.png
I posted side pix of her a few weeks back and the vote was unanimous pullet but I'm sure I can get a new side shot to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom