The Sussex thread!

Sorry about that I have been looking at young rooster a lot lately (with the dark and iridesant green feathers) i just went back and looked at my hen when she was young and she did have the green coloring on her tail feathers when she was younger.

Again sorry about that.

Quote:
Do you just have the 1 SS? I am thinking that Maggie might be a Roo. hard to tell in this picture.

Is it really only roos that have the green iridescence because all of mine have it...and I don't seem to have any roos?

any black bird or black marking can have the green iridescence. a bird fed a diet with more oils in it will have more shine, my birds get mazuri gamebird breeder it has fish oils, they also get black oil sunflowerseeds. the black bits on my spangles are very shinny, my black standard cochins are as shinny as my east indies ducks

A speckled sussex should have a green iridescence to the black parts of their feathers regardless of whether they are male or female. It is more pronounced in the males, but I think it's one of the things that makes SS hens so beautiful
love.gif
You just haven't noticed it in other photos because unfortunately iridescence just doesn't photograph very well/easily.

My daughter had her 4H showing at the fair today. Her SS cockerel got 4th place out of 17! Very proud of her and him.

Quote:
I think that She might be a Roo, those wattles look really large for someone of her age. How old is the Roo that is mounting her? is he an older roo or a young desperate male? LOL I just suggest this because when I had very young roos (alot of them) they would hop on anybody didn't matter who. They were just acting like teenagers with something to prove I guess. LOL sorry but her comb and wattles look Rooish
her tail looks alittle rooey too, but I cant see that very well in the picture. Maybe if you could post another of a side view of the whole body it might help, i didn't read the whole post so sorry if someone else already suggested that. Sandy

Back
Top Bottom