The Sussex thread!

I just didn't know what was going on because
My silver Sussex were black when they hatched
I know I can breed the light Sussex back to a
Silver roo and the offspring will be pure

Quote:
There adorable!! Did you hatch your own eggs, or get them from someone else, Ive been looking for sussex eggs.

Yes, I hatched her from my Sussex flock.
smile.png

~ Aspen

NEW SUSSEX COLOR (CUCKOO)

Hi all, I started this thread separately and then thought that the proper place for it would be here.

A friend of mine purchased a bunch of Silver Sussex and Silver/Light split chicks from Paul Branshaw at Greenfire Farm. As the chicks matured one of them showed barring in its feathers. When she told Paul about it he wanted to buy the chick back from her so he could develop the color.
She kept the chick and now three generations later the beginning of, or should I say the rebirth of a new Sussex color that is breeding true.
I found a picture from 1925 of a Cuckoo Sussex but no further info.
These are pure Sussex no other breeds have been used in the program. I wanted to post pictures of my birds and see what you all think.

The Rooster is Second Generation and the Hen is a third generation pullet. I have also included some closeups of there legs.

I would really like to work with this variety so I am hoping for lots of input and breeding strategy ideas.

77869_cuckoo-sussex-rooster-aug-2.jpg

Close up Rooster legs.
77869_cuckoo-sussex-roosters-legs.jpg

Young pullet
77869_sussex-pullets-legs-aug-201.jpg

Better look at her legs
77869_sussex-pullets-legs-aug-201.jpg

Thanks
I just love this forum and the people on it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom