The Sussex thread!

This is my roo. I only have one SS hen left but have two more on the way.
70867_img_2534.jpg

Meyer's Hatchery. They have been friendly and reliable and provided me with healthy, good looking birds before.

mr.hutch23 :

Meyer's Hatchery. They have been friendly and reliable and provided me with healthy, good looking birds before.

My friend ordered from Meyer. She got Black JG, Blue Andalusians, Silver Spangled Hamburgs, and Easter Eggers. She wasn't too happy with them due to having several chicks with crossed beaks, leg problems, etc.

~Aspen​

Quote:
Hi BBrock,
Honestly, I don't know if there are any in America. Never run across any ention of them.
They are similar to, but not the same as Red Sussex.
I have Outram's Sussex book here from the 1920's. Here's what he has to say on the Browns.
------
Seems to be a Table bird. This book was pubished circa 1926. Outram states that 22 years ago, the late John Ade, Hellingly, Sussex, was a good breeder of Reds. And keen on the browns. He was busy perfecting the Browns for several year after the Sussex Club was formed in 1903. In 1908, Ade introduced the Brown Sussex. The Sussex Club did not accept them asa variety and in 1909 the Brown Sussex Club was formed. The two clbs were freindly rivals, without animosity. Then in 1913, the Sussex Club accepted the Brown as a variety. From the color notes in this book, it looks like the hen is Wheaten colored.
--------------
Honestly, I don't know if Brown Sussex are founded on eWh or eb. It doesn't say in this book, from hence their foundation came. Might want to check Sharpe's ' Sussex Fowl ' book, available online at http://www.archive.org. Maybe something for you there if you are thinking of recreating it. Outram's 1934 edition of his book with stunning color plates is available from Country Books in New Zealand(website). Used to own a copy and found it very useful. Well worth the price.

Best,
karen in PA, USA.

Quote:
Hi BBrock,
Honestly, I don't know if there are any in America. Never run across any ention of them.
They are similar to, but not the same as Red Sussex.
I have Outram's Sussex book here from the 1920's. Here's what he has to say on the Browns.
------
Seems to be a Table bird. This book was pubished circa 1926. Outram states that 22 years ago, the late John Ade, Hellingly, Sussex, was a good breeder of Reds. And keen on the browns. He was busy perfecting the Browns for several year after the Sussex Club was formed in 1903. In 1908, Ade introduced the Brown Sussex. The Sussex Club did not accept them asa variety and in 1909 the Brown Sussex Club was formed. The two clbs were freindly rivals, without animosity. Then in 1913, the Sussex Club accepted the Brown as a variety. From the color notes in this book, it looks like the hen is Wheaten colored.
--------------
Honestly, I don't know if Brown Sussex are founded on eWh or eb. It doesn't say in this book, from hence their foundation came. Might want to check Sharpe's ' Sussex Fowl ' book, available online at http://www.archive.org. Maybe something for you there if you are thinking of recreating it. Outram's 1934 edition of his book with stunning color plates is available from Country Books in New Zealand(website). Used to own a copy and found it very useful. Well worth the price.

Best,
karen in PA, USA.

Green Fire Farms has Brown Sussex.
smile.png

~Aspen

Ok everyone gots a question that I just can't figure out whats going on, so maybe you all can enlighten me.
I have 10, 28 week old chickens laying since august 2, yesterday I got 11 eggs, well first I thought maybe I miscounted............ well again today I got 11 eggs? my only other chickens are my babies just turned 16 weeks, 3 SS, 2 Dels, and a barred rock. Well today I went in the coop to clean and Jasmine 1 of the 16 week old SS, was nosing around an egg on the floor in front of the nest boxes, first time I have seen her in the hen house period, could A 16 week old SS be laying already?? She does have the looks of soon to lay hen comb is larger than the others and much more red. My sissy the older chick from my first batch didn't lay until 23 weeks. Can SS lay at such different variances in time? 16 to 23 weeks is a big difference???? I'm stumped though who else could be laying, my BR pullet also looks like she will lay soon, along with my Delawares, but the other 2 little SS are not showing any color in there combs yet or even much growth in size of combs? they are all from the same hatch, from Cackle?????? HELP,

Back
Top Bottom