The Sussex thread!

Very Pretty hen............
Good Morning everyone.
I just thought I'd post a few pictures, of the very nice roosters I still have left, there posted on the wis. cheeseheads thread as well but I will post just the Sussex boys here. I especially want to find a home for my BF as the hubby calls him, who is insanely in love with me, and coo's and clucks and calls me all day long whenever he see's me. this is him clucking away and his pen mates think he's lost his mind. I just don't have the heart to kill him............ the rest are take it or leave it. He is an exceptionally beautiful Roo, who is also people friendly still at almost 5 months.
81831_mybf.jpg

81831_bff.jpg

81831_boys.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone, I know I have been contacted a couple times about my SS through this thread, but figured they wanted hens, but you never know maybe you all might need a replacement rooster, for a older or bred out male. Kim

Cute cuckoo chicks!! I can't wait to see them grow up! I had 2 silver sussex chicks hatch about a week ago, and I think they are both boy's based on how they are feathering in. I have 3 light sussex eggs in lockdown that are supposed to start hatching tonight. I have 1 pip and nothing on the other 2 yet. I really hope that I get all 3 to hatch. I hatched 2 silver's out of 20 eggs (two separate shipments) and had 3 light's make it to lockdown out of 18. I had lots of clears and lots of blood rings. Hatching shipped eggs is so stressful and can be so disappointing.

I was planning on ordering a few from a hatchery next year so I could get a male it two to go with my hens and a friend told me she has an excess of purebred males and is giving me one this weeknd. I am so excited.

Quote:
Why would you want to do this? Each color of Sussex was bred for a purpose. When you cross
the colors, you cross the purposes. It's not just "A Sussex is a Sussex is a Sussex". The breed has a long history.
Along the way, different Sussex folk wanted different colors for specific purposes. They linebred those principal
functions into the color variety.
Karen

Last edited:
Quote:
Why would you want to do this? Each color of Sussex was bred for a purpose. When you cross
the colors, you cross the purposes. It's not just "A Sussex is a Sussex is a Sussex". The breed has a long history.
Along the way, different Sussex folk wanted different colors for specific purposes. They linebred those principal
Karen

Long story short, I hatched out 2 silver sussex chicks and 2 light sussex chicks and it appears that the 2 silvers are cockerels and the 2 lights are pullets. So I don't have a choice but to cross them until I can get more birds. I was just wondering what the results would be from from that cross. I do plan on getting more next year and will separate them when I can.

Quote:
Karen

Could you tell us the specific purpose for the different colors? this is very interesting. The new fad for (DESINGER DOGS) just makes me mad when I think of all the yrs and yrs that went into keeping the lines pure thru wars and famine and now they are doing this on purpose..
sad.png

~another Karen

Quote:
Karen

Could you tell us the specific purpose for the different colors? this is very interesting. The new fad for (DESINGER DOGS) just makes me mad when I think of all the yrs and yrs that went into keeping the lines pure thru wars and famine and now they are doing this on purpose..
sad.png

~another Karen

Sometimes you cross things because you have to use what you have to work with. I wondered what you would get when you cross a coronation with a light or silver.

Quote:
Karen

sad.png

~another Karen

Steffpeck,
The practice of crossing silvers and lights or lights and coronation is something that is very frequent occurrence in the US. Just look on any of the poultry auction sites, you will see splits up for auction all the time.

As I understand it here is a breeding chart for the way sussex are crossed.

Coronation X Coronation = 100% Coronation
Coronation X Split(Light/Coronation) = 50 % Coronation, 50% Split
Coronation X Light = 100% Split
Split X Light = 25% Split, 50% Light, 25% Coronation

Silver to Silver = 100% Silver ( I have seen Light chicks come out of Silver colored Split birds)
Silver to Light = 100% Split
Silver to Split = 50% Silver, 50% Split
Split to Split = 25% Silver, 50% Split, 25% Light

I have never heard of crossing Coronation and Silvers.

I live about an hour from you and it looks like I am going to have some extra silver hens and I now have some extra light roosters. So email me and I will try to help you out.

I live about

Back
Top Bottom