The Sussex thread!

Quote:
He sounds like he is overly protective of his girls. I have not found any tried and true way. There are some good post on BYC about ways to "tame" an aggressive roo. Also you could try a search on the net. I personally just chase any that show aggressive behavior as soon as it starts. Also picking them up. Sometimes when they are on the ground I simulate how they grab the hens (by the nap of the neck) and put the other hand on the roo's back....then press firmly (not hurting him) to the ground so he can't run away. Dominate roos will sometimes top lesser roos to prove dominance.

I do this too, but Ive never had an aggressive roo I think because I never gave them the option of being higher than me on the Roo pecking order, BESIDES Flame,(who I didn't spend the time with because I Just thought Silkies were sweet which most are, Who Knew? LOL) the red silkie Nothing helped him. but the holding and chasing worked wonders at least for the rest of them. I have 7 Roosters a Blue Orpington, 2 Salmon Favs. 3 silkies, and 1 seabright all of them are held alot whether or not they want to be,, None of my Roosters are human aggressive But the two top Roos the Blue Orp. and the Black Silkie sometimes get over aggressive with the lesser males and I only get into there squirmishs if it gets really rough, I run in and grab up the aggresser and hold him for a few and then everything calms down. And alls well. I should mention that the lesser males are just coming into their own as far as being breeders and just learning their place in the pecking order so they kinda push their luck. LOL SS are such special birds at least to me with a super personality so I would really try the taming methods they should work for ya! I so hope you can work out his problems I would hate for ya to have to cull him, Im still looking for a good male to go with my little SS girls and hope to find one soon. Good Luck! Sandy

Yes, he is very protective of the girls. I'm not sure about how much Big Red was held as a chick. He doesn't like to be held or touched for that matter. I can't seem to get close enough to do either. He freaks out if I touch him as his butt is sticking out of the chicken door.

On a different forum, someone gave me this link. http://shilala.homestead.com/roosters.html For the last couple days, I've been trying the Alpha male thing (and so has my husband) towards Big Red. It seemed to be working until I came outside today and found 3 of the chickens missing. I called...here chickie, chickie, chickie and then I heard a rustling in the leaves in my neighbor's yard. There were 2 girls and Big Red over there. The old fence on his property was all bent out of shape and they couldn't figure out how to get back into the yard. This is the first time they have escaped my yard and it was scary!

I called my husband over and we proceeded to try to get the chickens to come to us to get them back into the yard. I don't know if they knew they were doing something wrong, but they wouldn't come to me but just kept running away from me. I walked over to the fence and I heard a rustling of the leaves coming fast towards me. It was Big Red charging me from behind. This freaked me out and I had to put my foot out to defend myself. I was finally able to grab a stick and try to keep him at bay as we were trying to capture the girls.

The girls kept following him in the thick bushes where we couldn't go and my husband was finally able to chase them out and finally was able to grab one and toss her over the fence to my yard. The other girl wasn't so easy. She just kept clinging to Big Red and when we tried to grab her he would be aggressive. We were finally able to separate them and get the other girl into my yard.

Capturing Big Red was quite a feat. We tried to get him to fly over the fence, but because the fence was bent over, he just ran under it. He charged at us several times and ran around my neighbor's house. He then proceeded to cross the road with traffic and made it into the neighbors yard....which usually has 2 barking dogs chained up in it...thank God, they were in the house. Big Red wanted to run back across the road to my yard, but my husband was standing in the way of him with a stick to block him from the road. After about a minute, Big Red decided to run past my husband to my side of the road, narrowing missing a pickup truck in the process. He got him to run in between the house and a retaining wall and all the way back to the back yard...phew!!!!

After that, my husband put up some more fence between the house and the retaining wall and we proceeded to clip the girls feathers. I wasn't going to do that, but they gave me no choice. We didn't clip Big Red's feathers for 2 reasons...one we can't capture him and 2 he probably will not leave the yard if the girls aren't leaving the yard. He wasn't happy at all that one by one, his girls went missing. We picked them up one by one and went into the basement away from his reach to clip their feathers. That actually worked out really well.

Big Red's aggression didn't wane the rest of the day as he proceeded to spar with my husband. I'm hoping that over the next several days, all the aggression will stop.

So what is someone to do to calm the rooster if you can't pick him up? Do you have a link to the thread to tame the aggressive rooster?

thanks,
LibertyChick

Quote:
If you do a quick search and you should come up with plenty. Each is basically opinionated. http://jerileewei.hubpages.com/hub/Taming-Wild-Roosters and http://www.motherearthnews.com/happy-homesteader/help-for-agressive-roosters.aspx are just a couple I found in just the first 4 results. You will have to try different things as each rooster is different and they can't tell you why they are doing what they do.
You could also look under the Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying section in the index.

I think it would be best if you could catch him. I have a fishing net that I use, but you and your husband could get out there with a sheet each and throw sheets on his. I know it sounds funny but sometimes you got to be creative. Towels should work too. You don't necessarily have to corner him, but just get him between both of you and drape/drop/throw the cover over him. You then should be able to pick him up.

That is just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Wow, you did have a long day! Liberty Chick. I was just wondering how long you have had your Roo? How old is he? Also when you pick up your Pullets do they scream and squawk? If they do, he is just doing his job to the best of his ability. Have you maybe tried to seperate him from the girls for a week or two and work with him a while like that? If he doesn't have the girls to protect he may not be so aggressive and you may have a better shot at teaching him how to be more respectful of you and your husband and he will realize that your not a threat to them or to him. If you haven't had him since he was a tiny little guy and not sure what type of treatment he had, like weather or not he was held or just left out as a barnyard bird may have alot to do with is attitude problem.
My uncle had chickens when we were kids and he never ever held or cuddled them they were freeranged most of the time all he did was collect the eggs. He left the Roosters out all the time to protect the hens but you couldn't get close to the Roo or the hens.
My hens are kept in a coop and Run most of the time and held and talked to all the time. (well as much as possible anyway) And all of them are friendly and like to be held, except Oliver Salmon Fav Roo, and he is just spooky, he will run from me but when I finially catch him and hold him he is fine, It does take a long time to catch him!. Anyway how their raised is a big factor on what their temporment is like in my opinion anyway.
I would def. catch him anyway you can and hold him (and take him away from the hens for awhile if possible.) and work with him on a daily basis. Even if it just throwing him some scatch and talking to him for a while so he gets used to you being in his space or close to it. And gradually get closer to him as time goes on. It may take awhile, but I think it can be done. You sound pretty commited to making him a better Roo. Best of Luck! Sandy

Quote:
It does sound like he was a little freaked out with your hens flapping and making noise. He was doing what you would want him to do under normal conditions - - - protecting your hens / his ladies.

The problem comes in when he does not recognize that you are not a threat. . . . I do not think aggressive behavior by you will resolve this. For the next few weeks, your roo needs some special attention from you. Every day, you need to calmily pick him up. Hold him, caress him, and carry him around for 10 to 15 minutes a day. Rub his wattles, massage his comb, give him scratch from your hand, pet him, LET HIM KNOW nothing BAD happens from you. When he is calm, release him and go about the hens and other jobs. TAKE TIME with him FIRST before you go about the daily watering and feeding. At the first sign that he is feeling hormonal - - pick him up again. Do not release him until he is calm and has submitted to you. If you go to place him on the ground and him kicks and fights, pick him back up... teach him "WAIT" ... then try to set him down again.

I normally work with all my roos when they are around 3 months old. By the time they are 5 months old.... the roo and I are a team managing the ladies.
I call for the roo and he calls for the ladies. That is how I move a flock from one place to another. I don't worry about all 15 birds.... I work only with the roo. I KNOW if I get him where I want the flock to be.... he will call the rest of the ladies over for me. Works like a charm.
thumbsup.gif

I would not allow this roo to run loose until you and him have worked out your relationship issues. He needs to be somewhere where it will be easy for you to corner him, without freaking him out, and pick him up. If he is running loose and it is a Big Drama to catch him every day.... it just will reinforce that you are a "Big Scarry Rooster Monster".

Last edited:
Ok, so the other day I walked by the Sussex run to check on them in the evening. There was the cock with a few ruffled feathers in his hackle. On the ground was a battered mess of fur that used to be a young river rat. The hens are fine. Good boy. he did his duty well.
Karen in Ligonier. PA

I just wanted to show off my 2 little SS chicks. Since there are only 2 that hatched, I put a washable duster in with them. That's what they're standing on. Maybe you can see the color difference in the 2. Does that give any clues as to sex?
44040_dsc00842.jpg

44040_dsc00846.jpg

Thanks for looking and for any input!

Back
Top Bottom