The Sussex thread!

Quote:
coro chicks 1 -3 weeks and pair 9 weeks (already big and fluffy!)
smile.png
+ tons of other breeds, if interested PM me so we don't take up others time on the thread. Thanks

Got lots of good pictures of my SS today! Unfortunately, they're all mostly the same pose, so I just uploaded one of them. Just wanted to get critiques. I know they're hatchery birds, and you can't really evaluate a bird based on one (or even several) photo, but just for grins and giggles I thought I'd see how people here felt they compare to the standard.

52978_026.jpg

These are pics of My Sspeckled sussex.. I was told one of them was something like a light sussex? or a light speckled sussex? I Dont know. But here they are. The first two are fairly recent, the girl in the first pic-beauty-actually passed away about a month ago. So I guess it actually wasn't so recent. The girl in the second pic-Shellby-Is the light sussex and she is really sociable and pretty, she is a people chicken
smile.png
(I guess its not really that funny, oh well.....)
87829_014.jpg

87829_img_2999.jpg

87829_ss.png

87829_meep_020.jpg

87829_meep_011.jpg

I think the one with all the white is beautiful but its not considered a light sussex just too much white I have one like her and I think they are beautiful.

well the 2nd pic is just a really gay Speckled Sussex. Gay refers to the amount of white in the tri-color bird. The 4th one is a nice start on a Partridge Sussex. Watts and Conrad bred them in 1921. They used the darker shades of the Red Sussex to do it. A Red Sussex is a Speckled Sussex without any white on it. I read on the Net recently, someone is developing the Partridge Sussex once more.
http://tinyurl.com/7w7deep
Dr. Conrad originated the Partridge Sussex circa 1915.
Poultry success: Volume 26 - Pages 74 and 75 .
books.google.com
1915 - Free Google eBook - Read

Best,
Karen in western PA .

Last edited:
Hi,
I was so thrilled to find this book online. The Sussex Fowl by Sharpe (originator of the Light Sussex) sells for 250.+ online. It's a great book, very down to earth and full of wisdom from a legendary breeder. Covers all the colors available at that time. Brown, Red, Speckled, Light, etc. there a lot on selection and mating.
http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924003091398
Best Regards,
Karen in western PA

Back
Top Bottom