The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements...

Pics

This was very helpful and now my girls live their yoghurt n cereal breakfast

Thanks.Good information on the fish. I'd like to give them to my ducks and geese actually. We have 6 Welch Harlequins and 3 geese-a mean Toulouse gander and 2 hens that are African and Toulouse mixes that were given to us. The girls are good, but we just aren't sure we are going to be able to keep the gander. It takes both of us to go into the pen just to gather eggs. We've tried alot of behavior modification. It works for about 5 seconds at a time, but we dare not turn our backs on him. He was so sweet and gentle when we rescued him. We can't figure out what has made him so mean. We give him lots of room, although we can't allow the geese to free range yet as we aren't set up for that. Once we get things changed around, I'm afraid still to let him out, not just bc of my own fear of getting bitten and flogged again, but fear he might attack the ducks, who do free range separately even now. I hate the thought of processing him, but it's looking more and more that will be his fate.I can't live with an aggressive animal on the property.Plus I'm losing eggs from my girls bc Michael is working away 5 days a week, so I can't get in there to retrieve the daily eggs. Grrr Boy oh boy, if anyone has any suggestions on taming a gander, I'm all ears.And sorry I veered off the subject here.
I've been told and read that my swans are going to be the same way when they start breeding and eggs/cygnets are involved. Have no idea how I'll deal with it. Gracie and Gunther have a large safe house/run where they stay nights. Door opens into their yard with pool for day use. How will I walk them in before dark with them trying to kill me? How will I clean and maintain their habitat? I was attacked last year by a 5 year old Emerald Spalding (Green Species) peacock I raised from a chick. I was entering the pen with a garbage can lid during breeding season to protect myself. He'd calmed down some when mating ceased so was off guard when he left a high roost and got me in the head. Husband rushed me to the doctor with blood running down my face. It was a horrible experience. Maybe the imprint of him on me had something to do with it. He now lives on a 100 acre ranch in Goliad, TX and I didn't shed a tear when he left, LOL!!! I don't think that kind of temperament in an animal can be changed.

I've been told and read that my swans are going to be the same way when they start breeding and eggs/cygnets are involved. Have no idea how I'll deal with it. Gracie and Gunther have a large safe house/run where they stay nights. Door opens into their yard with pool for day use. How will I walk them in before dark with them trying to kill me? How will I clean and maintain their habitat? I was attacked last year by a 5 year old Emerald Spalding (Green Species) peacock I raised from a chick. I was entering the pen with a garbage can lid during breeding season to protect myself. He'd calmed down some when mating ceased so was off guard when he left a high roost and got me in the head. Husband rushed me to the doctor with blood running down my face. It was a horrible experience. Maybe the imprint of him on me had something to do with it. He now lives on a 100 acre ranch in Goliad, TX and I didn't shed a tear when he left, LOL!!! I don't think that kind of temperament in an animal can be changed.

Tough, when there are these behavioral troubles.

I would like to gently and with great appreciation suggest these stories need to be in their own thread, since I suspect folks will miss this, since it's in the duck treats thread..... And I feel it is important to bring these things to the attention of the community. Have you posted on the goose and ornamental forums?

Tough, when there are these behavioral troubles.

I would like to gently and with great appreciation suggest these stories need to be in their own thread, since I suspect folks will miss this, since it's in the duck treats thread..... And I feel it is important to bring these things to the attention of the community. Have you posted on the goose and ornamental forums?

Sorry, guess I was thinking "waterfowl" and not specifically "ducks" and bringing up the peacock was in reference to the gander being out of hand. Amiga, what you wrote is so well worded and kind. Thanks for scolding me gently, LOL!! I've been following this thread believing swans probably can consume the same food as ducks. With what I've read I'm somewhat yearning for a couple pet ducks. Had no idea they could be such enjoyable pets.

Sorry, guess I was thinking "waterfowl" and not specifically "ducks" and bringing up the peacock was in reference to the gander being out of hand. Amiga, what you wrote is so well worded and kind. Thanks for scolding me gently, LOL!! I've been following this thread believing swans probably can consume the same food as ducks. With what I've read I'm somewhat yearning for a couple pet ducks. Had no idea they could be such enjoyable pets.
They are great animals, those ducks. We don't have that much space, to all we have are ducks right now.

And as much as trying to keep this thread about duck treats, I truly feel that with limited time and attention to offer, it's good to post where the conversation is more likely to be seen - to help others as well as receive help. I have benefited from seeing this, by the way....bonus!!! Blessings on you and your animals
hugs.gif

Sorry if this has already been discussed...

My duckies are about 1 month old and I keep chasing them from the wild bird feeders because there are a lot of mixed seeds and BOSS on the ground, but they still manage to eat a decent amount of it. Is this harmful?

Sorry if this has already been discussed...

My duckies are about 1 month old and I keep chasing them from the wild bird feeders because there are a lot of mixed seeds and BOSS on the ground, but they still manage to eat a decent amount of it. Is this harmful?
I would put an exclusion fence around that area in part because I would not want them to have contact with such a concentration of wild bird droppings. Perhaps an extreme caution, but that would be my concern. They are fairly resistant to disease, but ...

And people feed their ducks sprouted BOSS, so I don't know if it would be that big a problem. And on the other hand, it's kinda oily.....gee. Good question.

Back
Top Bottom