The waiting. The waiting is killing me.

johanssonmel

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Wilmington NC
I have three Ayam Cemani eggs on day 21. About 16 hours ago I had my first external pip, then nothing... nothing. You can definitely hear cheeping in there, but it's hard to tell which eggs over the hum of the incubator. This morning one small external pip on a second egg. Excuse me while I go hyperventilate somewhere.

I have three Ayam Cemani eggs on day 21. About 16 hours ago I had my first external pip, then nothing... nothing. You can definitely hear cheeping in there, but it's hard to tell which eggs over the hum of the incubator. This morning one small external pip on a second egg. Excuse me while I go hyperventilate somewhere.
Heehee... Good luck. Can't wait to see them!

Spot on about the hyperventilation thing my fist hatch was pretty exciting three different eggs had external pips so I was freaking out. I gave myself a pat on the back for that :bun good luck :)

Last edited:

LOL The waiting is torture! Good luck!

I did! It took over 24 hours, but all three hatched, under the close scrutiny of my adorable little neighbor.

Two were the "wild" type with chipmunk markings:

But I did get one sooty black one. It took way longer to hatch, and was crippled--its legs splayed out so it could hardly walk, and one wing dragged. Against my better judgment (read: I am a coward who couldn't bring myself to Do the Deed) I have kept it, putting it in a separate brooder so it didn't have to compete with its robust siblings for food & water.

It's actually improving. It gets around pretty spryly on its little waddly legs. Still about half the size of the others.

Honestly, though, I don't know what the hell I'm thinking. There's still a 50% chance it's a cockerel, and I live in town, so keeping a cock is out of the question. My plan had been that I shouldn't have any problem at all rehoming Ayam Cemani cocks... but a crippled one is a nonstarter. And if it does turn out to be a pullet, I worry that when I finally turn it out with the flock they'll promptly do away with it.

0.jpg

It remains to be seen how crippled he or she will be if it is still improving. Most of the ppl I know in my area have roosters who are crippled. It seems to be a gentler rooster to the hens. So not all is lost if it is a rooster.
I have a rooster. I also have a chicken I am watching he has a broken toe. He has always fed away from the others. His humbleness has never brought on any ill will from the adult rooster I have. He has such splashes of color and feathers that have grown so long they fall long on his back and tail that make me think he is a he. I hope your chick is a hen. But if it isn't he may find good home.
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom