The "What Color Is My Chicken?" thread! Calling all color experts!

Pics
In autosomal barring or transverse penciling only the black pigment (eumelanin) is arranged in straight bars. Red areas are not affected.
The same genes Db and Pg can cause a wheatear pattern instead of a barring pattern, if less black pigment is present.
Sexlinked barring is a repeated pigment on, pigment off signal that works on the entire color of the bird.
Normally this kind of barring is pretty blurry, but it can be sharpened by selection of genes like slow feather growth (K), maybe columbian, and who knows what else.

Is he a partridge silkie x mille fleur oegb? I would call them incomplete columbians. Very cute! Love the little crests.

what color would you call him?

527595_744661680481_62004766_33873981_2003589305_n.jpg

oatmeal, his hen mint, and my milli oegb...what color is his girl as well??

557335_744661850141_62004766_33873985_1098874211_n.jpg

Quote:
Slow feathering versus fast feathering. Both have the barring gene B. In barred variety birds th feathers grow slowly allowing the bars to be very precise. Selection for precise barring is also a factor. In cuckoo birds, the feathers grow in more rapidly, essentially smudging the barring. (Note that my comment on smudging is based on the appearance, not the actual mechanism, which Tim or maybe Henk can describe in more detail.)

Sure, read my bit:

In autosomal barring or transverse penciling only the black pigment (eumelanin) is arranged in straight bars. Red areas are not affected.
The same genes Db and Pg can cause a wheatear pattern instead of a barring pattern, if less black pigment is present.
Sexlinked barring is a repeated pigment on, pigment off signal that works on the entire color of the bird.
Normally this kind of barring is pretty blurry, but it can be sharpened by selection of genes like slow feather growth (K), maybe columbian, and who knows what else.

Back
Top Bottom