The "What Color Is My Chicken?" thread! Calling all color experts!

Pics
If you see an Autosomal barred Bird (I really prefer to call this color Quill or Pencilled, hence the confusion with Cuckoo), the difference is usually obvious. The biggest difference is that Autosomal is never an overall pattern. The Bars are also much wider usually.
True Barring and True Cuckoo (B and B^sd, respectively) as I understand it appear, like demonstrated, at the same locus as different alleles.

Emily

Correct me if I'm wrong (basecolor is a confusing area);

Platinum = Blue + Isabel
Khaki = Dun (two doses)
Fawn = Dun (1 dose)
Buff = Dun (1 dose) + Chocolate
???

Correct me if I'm wrong (basecolor is a confusing area);

Platinum = Blue + Isabel
Khaki = Dun (two doses)
Fawn = Dun (1 dose)
Buff = Dun (1 dose) + Chocolate
???

I prefer to use the words pattern color (eumelanin, eg black) and groundcolor (pheomelanin, eg red)
platinum = 1 dose blue + 1 dose dun
khaki = 2 doses dun
fawn = 1 dose dun, eg fawn silver duckwing oegb
buff = absence of patterncolor due to columbian-like restrictors, and gold groundcolor equalized by red enhancers and gold diluters

1 dose dun + sexlinked chocolate combination would be a lighter brown color. Must say that both dun and chocolate can range from pretty light to almost black and I think there would be an overlap between the darkest combo and the lightest shade of either dun or chocolate.

Yes, that's what I meant by buff; but I have noticed both Chocolate and Dun seeming to vary alot, so the Light Brown color caused by both would probably be even more variable.
Buff as an overall color is a polygenic trait, like you said, of Gold or Diluted Red and Fawn or Chocolate on the Pattern areas.

Yes, that's what I meant by buff; but I have noticed both Chocolate and Dun seeming to vary alot, so the Light Brown color caused by both would probably be even more variable.
Buff as an overall color is a polygenic trait, like you said, of Gold or Diluted Red and Fawn or Chocolate on the Pattern areas.

No, dun or chocolate are not needed for solid buff, but they can help to mask the remainder of black pigment on the tip of the tail and the wings.
Actually most buffs do not have it. Others have dom.white added which helps to make a nice yolky shade of buff. The white (pattern) itself is not visible on a good buff.

No, dun or chocolate are not needed for solid buff, but they can help to mask the remainder of black pigment on the tip of the tail and the wings.
Actually most buffs do not have it. Others have dom.white added which helps to make a nice yolky shade of buff. The white (pattern) itself is not visible on a good buff.
ahh, so those solid buffs you mentioned without diluted eumelanin are just extra, extra restricted?

Back
Top Bottom