The "What Color Is My Chicken?" thread! Calling all color experts!

Are these Seramas considered a "wild-type", or are they going to change? I'm new to Seramas and hatched these out to keep my Singleton Serama company, but they look nothing alike in shape or color.

Hi, my colors aren't really a MYSTERY, they are just confusing to me. These 5 are what's left of my Silkies. Started with 20. Re-homed all but 1 rooster. I lost 3 hens to the hawks (2 white hens, and my only true black hen). The darkest chicken here is my rooster. He appears to be black, with some grey. The dark hen is dark grey up front, but LIGHT grey in back. What color is she? Is the grey considered blue? Or is there a grey Silkie color?

Thank you!!!

Kathy

Hi, my colors aren't really a MYSTERY, they are just confusing to me. These 5 are what's left of my Silkies. Started with 20. Re-homed all but 1 rooster. I lost 3 hens to the hawks (2 white hens, and my only true black hen). The darkest chicken here is my rooster. He appears to be black, with some grey. The dark hen is dark grey up front, but LIGHT grey in back. What color is she? Is the grey considered blue? Or is there a grey Silkie color?

Thank you!!!

Kathy

Grey is caused by the Black/Blue/Splash gene. Both would be considered Blue.

Now, I'm just curious if anyone knows what would cause these colors combinations?
It appears to be the blue gene, but there's all different shades and patterns.
They're not pure-bred, since they're part of the Catskill Homesteader project,
but just wondered if anyone had a clue what you'd call these colors and/or the genetics behind them.

Pullet #1

Mostly, the two pullets on the far right:

Cockerel #1

Cockerel #2 - "Penguin"

pullet #2

pullet#4 - "Matilda" - I believe her mother was a pure partridge chantecler

Pullet #5 is really "stumping me", as it kind of looks like a light "blue" or "lavender", but then it almost looks "tan" now??
Could this be the dun or khaki gene? It didn't seem to match up to anything I've ever seen before!

NAME THAT COLOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi. I was wondering what color my two roosters are. I'm not sure what breed their dad was, and I've never seen either if their parents. It looks kind of like birchen to me, but I'm not sure. I know almost nothing about genetics

Taemin
His mom was a Japanese I believe and I'm clueless about the dad-maybe D'Uccle?

And this is his half brother that I also got.
His name is key. I believe his mom was a polish, and again, no clue about the dad-I think they have the same dad though.

I have one more sibling. His name is Minho and he looks almost identical to Key, except a tiny bit less blond/white
They all have like half feathered legs. I don't know if you can see it in the pictures

So yeah...anyone know what color I should call them? Thanks

Oh, I forgot to add that the first rooster, Taemin has a small beard and muffs

I know this doesn't pertain to color, but just incase anyone has any ideas about what the dad could be...

Yes, Taemin is likely the offspring of a black, blue, or otherwise mostly dark Japanese and a Mille Fleur d'Uccle (which are bearded). I say this because I've owned blue silkie/MF d'uccle crosses (i.e. I have a decent idea of possible variations on how d'Uccle can manifest) plus I've had Japanese. Ahh... the faces on those little guys. I suppose Serama is another possibility for the mother but from a statistical standpoint less likely lol.

The second one, I'd need a better look at his face. His body shape seems a little bulkier/rounder than I would expect with a Polish parent if the other is a d'Uccle.

I'm afraid I can't help much with color. Birchen should have silver/white hackle and saddle feathers. Yours look like they've got some color (maybe they are silver and the lighting is throwing me off) and I have never found a name for that pattern in gold.
A potential shortcut to use in describing them to someone else is "same pattern as birchen but light gold instead of white."

Back
Top Bottom