The "What Color Is My Chicken?" thread! Calling all color experts!

Pics
On the cockerels.....yes. They came from a long line of pure blacks from reputable breeders. The hens came from a project that my cousin was working on......but I know for a fact that no lavenders were used in that project.

I have two chicks I'm curious about. Total barnyard mix here. I can't verify either parent other than probable bantam as both chicks are small. I have white silkies, a couple silkie polish crosses (probably splash) and 1 black pekin roo with red hackles and saddle, 1 birchin(I think) pekin roo.. Lots of other roo possibilities but not bantams.

The one on the right looks blue, which would make sense if you had recessive whites (which is based on extended black) crossed with splash.

Now as to the one on the left, was it "chipmunk striped" in the down before the feathers came in? That's usually a good indicator of wild-type (think silver or light brown leghorns). It looks a lot like the pattern we see a lot of over on the EE braggers thread. I guess you'll really have to wait 'til it feathers in some more.

Recessive white can occur with any base. Extended black is no more common in recessive whites than any other base. In my experience e^b is pretty common with white silkies--because silkies are usually e^b based.

The blue bird has a parent that is wither blue or splash, and at least one parent has feathered legs.

The bird on the left comes from a breeding where neither parent had feathered legs (unless one was very sparcely feathered).

Neither have crests, so I doubt they came from silkie or polish breeding. Except that the blue one does appear to have black skin (verify this by looking at wing pits and/or vent area, where there is little feathering. A bird with a silkie parent should have extra toes.

Ok, thx. The blue chick does have black skin, but I have a crapload of black skinned/meat chickens even in my LF. I was wondering if the other chick might have been blue based as well with a modifier on top. It was partridge(or wild type) when hatched. They're about 5 weeks now.

Thanks for the info.

I have another bantam chick that just hatched and I've never seen this before either. Yellow fluff with a brownish stripe across the nape of the neck. Maybe a brown dot on the top of the head. Pink/yellow legs. No other markings. 3 days old, primaries coming in white it looks like.

What color is this guy?

I looked up Bbred and Gold, but he doesn't seem to match those quite right. I could be wrong :) I'm still new to this!
he has a "Golden" Duckwing Phenotype to it. and I believe he is a Golden phoenix..

here is "Golden" Phoenix

how is "Golden" Duckwing phenotype created?

Cross a Silver Duckwing Phoenix with a BBR Phoenix. all of the males will be "golden" but the females will be Silver.

Silver Duckwing Phoenix

Black Breasted Red Phoenix

Last edited:
I have a silkie that is just over a year old, and I don't know what color to call him. Sorry about him molting in these pics.

I also have this silkie who was sold to me as a splash rooster, but he has a ton of red on him. Is he just a bad quality splash or is he another color. The hen in the pics with him is truly a splash and has no red on her. If it looks like she does it is only dirt from the wet rainy days we've had.

Back
Top Bottom