The "What Color Is My Chicken?" thread! Calling all color experts!

Pics
Anyone know what color this would be considered? This was a roo I hatched out awhile back. The mother was a white silkie and the father was a WFBS/OEGB mix.

first off, YAY, i'm so excited to have run across this thread.
second, sadly, I only understand every third word, but I'm trying my best.

Would anyone be able to tell me what "color" this guy is. I think it may be obvious, but I'm trying to breed a particular looking chicken, and his babies are my first generation - just trying to figure out which ones to use for which purpose ;)

*** oops, I forgot to add that his father was a blue copper marans, and the mother was an ameraucana (pure), but unsure of color ***
first pic is him at 7 months old - the day before he went to live somewhere else for being a jerk. THe second picture is him at exactly 2 months old (and the blueberry bush they destroyed ;) )

THanks so much!

Last edited:
I would have guessed it to be a pullet. WFBS?

His head is angled down and he is young. He had a silkie comb that was a bit too red, rather than the nice dark blue/black. WFBS is a White Faced black Spanish. Actually this roo's father is the son of the two chickens in my picture. The WFBS is the black hen with white lobes and face. The father looks like the OEGB with a white face and big white lobes. I was suprsed to get this color with all the colored flecks. I would have kept if it had been a pullet, this guy was defently crowing.

crowing is not definitive proof of a male though, and the color is typically pullet.
There is NO way this was not a Roo! I know a Roo when I see one. That picture did make him look like it could be a pullet since his head was turned. Here is another picture, he is young here the comb got even bigger as he got older and it is not flat it is a big round lump. The other chick that hatched with him was a roo as well and had the same weird comb, not a big fan of silkie combs especially if they turn out redish. I did get one later that was very similar from the same cross but had more orange and it was a roo as well but it had a single comb.

Back
Top Bottom