The worst hatchery in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
rhodeislandredraiser, I had the exact same experience except I didn't order from the same hatchery as you.

I order 15 cornish crosses hatched 8/4/09 arrived 8/6/09 10 dead by 8/7/09. I thought they had everything they could possibly need. Large brooder, plenty of food and water. I followed everything the hatchery recommended in their chicken care booklet. Nothing I did prevented their demise. I assumed that it was just they didn't handle the trip very well. They all walked around like they were drunk.

I have decided that I will no longer buy meat bird crosses, but stick with the pure breed meaties or the dual purpose birds which seem to be more heartier.

Don't be discouraged by this one experience. Cackle Hatchery has a good reputation among this and other communities. They didn't get that reputation by selling defective birds.

On another note, please use caution in flaming businesses online. Online forums offer the security of anonymity. The company you flame today, may be the individual who gives you assistance and helpful suggestion tomorrow.

Last edited:
did you contact them before you posted a negative againist them, what i have read on this post sounds like more good than bad, maybe the post office had alittle to do with the late shipping, i never had any issue myself with them, sounds like a combination of a few things to me that might have caused this, but i will bite my tongue, sometimes that is a fair thing to do,, bite your tongue,, anyway sorry for the loss , i know the feeling
Quote:

Quote:
Well said!

The answer could be as simple as contaminated chick feed that you gave them.

We bought MANY cornish rocks (222, they sent 241). This breed is EXTREMELY hard to care for & I speak from experience). Ours came from Welp, and we're chalking it up to our own inexperience in this. We will NEVER buy fast growers for butchering again, but rather standard breeds. Many reasons- standards (dual purpose- RIR, BO & BR are the 3 we're looking into) eat less, are less stinky, don't seem as dumb (LOL), etc.

On another note, I'd like to ask your altitude. Fast growers don't do well in high altitudes (OH BOY, have we learned more info since we ordered them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom