Therapy Dogs work for hugs!

Thanks for sharing.I loved those pictures.The reason why people choose dogs as therapeutic animals is because they help release happy hormones in humans like serotonine and oxytocin.It is not just that who wouldn't feel happy when you look into a dogs eye and see complete love and innocence there?

One of the main points of getting CGC cert (at least through the university) is to attend therapy type events such as on campus or at local schools/nursing homes/etc. It would be nice if every dog was well adjusted and ok with strange people petting them but a lot of dogs are not ok with this. I think that's perfectly ok as long as the owner readily admits this and works to help the dog or to keep it out of situations that may set off fear until the animal is conditioned to be ok in those situations. I don't necessarily feel every dog has to be ok with strangers touching them or even approaching as long as those dogs have proactive owners.

Long story short, I don't mind working with or handling aggressive dogs while doing my job as long as the owner tells me and accepts the use of a muzzle or chemical restraint should I need to do procedures on the animal.

Anyway, it's nice people take the time to do therapy events with their pets. It sure is nice to have that available in times of stress!

Last edited:
One of the main points of getting CGC cert (at least through the university) is to attend therapy type events such as on campus or at local schools/nursing homes/etc. It would be nice if every dog was well adjusted and ok with strange people petting them but a lot of dogs are not ok with this. I think that's perfectly ok as long as the owner readily admits this and works to help the dog or to keep it out of situations that may set off fear until the animal is conditioned to be ok in those situations. I don't necessarily feel every dog has to be ok with strangers touching them or even approaching as long as those dogs have proactive owners.

Long story short, I don't mind working with or handling aggressive dogs while doing my job as long as the owner tells me and accepts the use of a muzzle or chemical restraint should I need to do procedures on the animal.

Anyway, it's nice people take the time to do therapy events with their pets. It sure is nice to have that available in times of stress!

I never thought of it like that but I agree.

I read once that it's not fair to put a dog in a situation they don't want to be or force it and that you wouldn't with people. For instance, dog parks. Some people insist on taking their dog (s) to the dog park no matter what. Well that dog may be shaking scared the whole time or is maybe aggressive or maybe they are not scared or aggressive but they just plain don't like other dogs or are more independent. The point was that should be FINE, your dog doesn't HAVE to go to these places and you shouldn't force your dog just cause you want him to enjoy it. Dog parks are not for every dog and that is fine. I agree with that and I wish people would stop forcing things on their dogs. Now obviously dog parks are one example and not relevant entirely but used to show the example. Maybe instead of a dog park, your dog just doesn't like other dogs or maybe doesn't like people and that's fine. Your dog doesn't have to like those things or have a million people crowding it all the time.

So what you said is true, the dog does not have to be okay with people petting it. Now, obviously you shouldn't just give up on your dog and that's not what myself or the thing I read were saying, you should definitely try to work with your dog and help him get over it and be okay with it, but some dogs are never going to be okay with certain things and that is fine.

Now that said, I do agree that the CGC is important life skills and you should definitely try to work with your dog to be okay with it if you can. But also know that he may not be okay and that's okay.

Now, obviously there needs to be compromise. He may not be okay with it but he shouldn't be outright aggressive and attack someone for approaching - that is dangerous and a huge liability.

But that said, it should be managed. If he hates dogs or people, don't take him near dogs or people. Walk in more isolated areas or at times when others aren't around. Or if there ARE people or dogs, just keep walking or stay away and don't let people or dogs approach. It's all about management like was mentioned.

My dog is terrified of loud noises and can be selective/reactive with some dogs so I don't think he could pass but I am going to start working with him on those things

Back
Top Bottom