There's something wrong with my duck's legs

Pathetic gay

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2024
A few weeks ago my father impulsivly got 2 ducks and I'm trying to take care of them the best I can. They are a couple weeks old and we think they are girls.

We have them on a dirt of kalmbach all natural chixk feed with nutritional yeast flakes, niacin, and peas as a treat. I let them swim daily for about an hour. About 2 weeks ago I noticed my yellow duck had bowed legs and have been trying to fix them, but diet alone is not helping.

She struggles to walk and often walks on the hind part of legs and scoots around that way. She shakes when she walks and her legs seem crooked and she walks on her own feet, and I can tell she is weak but I don't know how to help her. Her sister (not from the same mother, they are different breeds) is fine though, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

I've tried to reach out to vets around me, but none of them work with ducks. Im trying the best o can but I don't know what to do. Please if you can give me some advice on what I should do to help her.

If you can please give me some advice.

20240419_170744.jpg

Here is info on niacin deficiency also has the dose for ages on this too. Get the liquid BComplex ASAP and begin giving it to your duckling it’s the best we have found to get them over it. I have a mixed flock so I feed chicken feed and add Nutritional yeast to it 1 Tablespoon to each cup of feed but when one already has a niacin def the liquid B is the best to treat that one with.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/ sorry forgot to add the link

Last edited:
Than k you. How do I administer the liquid complex?
You can give it by mouth tiny drop right inside the bill and let the duckling swallow after each drop or put it over a tiny bit of crushed mealworms. We don't advise putting it into their water becasue it dilutes it down to much plus they waste alot of water too. Keep in the frig after opening it will say injectable on the bottle but just peel off the foil open the stopper and pull with the dropper or syringe out what you need .

Personally, I buy the syringes with the needles. I stab it into the top of the vitamin B bottle and draw it out as if I was going to give a shot. Instead, I squirt it over dry mealworms and hand feed them to my duck. I squirt a little more than recommended to account for loss. The dry mealworms suck up the liquid really well.

since you are giving peas ( or anything else other than their feed) they need grit available, they will take what they need from a side dish. I would use the durVet liquid b complex. not sure how much for duckling though for a grown duck I give one ML per day if they need it.
Nutritional yeast added to the feed should be 1 tablespoon per cup of feed and the other niacin that you said you’re using I don’t know what that is but if it is non-flush kind or time release kind it will not help

since you are giving peas ( or anything else other than their feed) they need grit available, they will take what they need from a side dish. I would use the durVet liquid b complex. not sure how much for duckling though for a grown duck I give one ML per day if they need it.
Nutritional yeast added to the feed should be 1 tablespoon per cup of feed and the other niacin that you said you’re using I don’t know what that is but if it is non-flush kind or time release kind it will not help
They do have grit available. On the bottle it says flush-free.

Back
Top Bottom