These hens have not read any chicken books...

OutInTheStiks

Songster
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Thorn Hill, TN
One of our Barred Rocks and one of our Welsummers have decided to go broody. So much for what the books say about their broodiness. They were attempting to hatch golf balls but we decided if they were that determined we would give them some eggs. We gave them some bantam eggs because those hens heven't read the books either. We were letting their eggs accumumlate in hopes that they would go broody like good little oeg bantam hens should.

They are only on day three so they may very well get bored with it and quit. But for now they are sitting tight.

Quote:
Is that one of the ones you got from me? If so, maybe there's hope for my BR hens, too.
big_smile.png

Denise

Quote:
Is that one of the ones you got from me? If so, maybe there's hope for my BR hens, too.
big_smile.png

Denise

It is one of the Barred Rocks we got from you. Hopefully she will see it through.

How's your broody BR doing? Still setting? One of my australorps decided to go broody the same day I set 30 eggs in the incubator. It could be interesting here in a couple of weeks.

Denise

She's still sitting tight. In the meantime, another Welsummer, a goose, a game hen and a bantam game have all decided to start setting. Good luck with your hatches!

I'm hoping this isn't contagious. I already have 53 chickens/chicks, 30 eggs in the bator and who knows how many eggs my broody is sitting on. I may need another job just for chicken feed.

I had one barred rock go broody so I just kept popping the nest box open and chasing her out. She seemed to get on with her life pretty good but does sleep in the nest

I think it is contagious. Had 1 SLW go then a couple days later another one went...a few days after that a third one decided she needed to go broody too, only she's sitting on nothing!
hu.gif
And she's the mean one too, tried slipping 2 chicks under her today but she got mad and started pecking them. I guess I'm going to give her a couple of eggs tomorrow.

I've got a bantam friz on her second hatch in less than 1 1/2 yrs, a BO for the first time, and a CM for the second in 1 1/2 years. She just finished a hatch this past month now that I think of it. I took her chicks I wonder if that's why. Anybody know? She was a real vehement momma too. Don't mess with her chicks.

Back
Top Bottom