They are taking my chickens away.

Okay I decided on an acronym: Chick N Po-Op (Chicken and Poultry Operation)

Update:
I talked to a chicken group near me, I asked my neighbors to make a letter, I have made a petition, I am going to stand a the Local Farmer's Market WITH the petition, and I thought of a name (shown above). YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here in Fla. Zoning can issue up to a $250 a day fine to the property owner, per fowl. That would mean 6 fowl x $250 = $1500 a day & the fine could run twenty(20) years or the property abated and forclosed upon( if the owner refuses to comply. Banks are notified if they hold the deed to the property and will get involved too as they dont want to lose the home/property to the city or county and may cite the home owner for breach of contract). if the property owner doesnt find a home for the fowl/livestock with in thirty(30) days or refuses to comply. Thats alot of information to take in I know.. It's probibly best to remove the fowl until you get the ord changed.. Since you didnt mention what your fines would be, and they WILL issue a fine. The anti govenment folks are quick to claim Big Brother is reaching into the pockets of the honest man. But in reality a City or County Government just wants compliance and the fine is issued as a last resort.. Remember the zoning ords have been inplace for many years. Yes many Zoning officers nation wide veiw this and other websites, some of us live in areas that are zoned to keep fowl and do have them legally, while we feel your pain we see & understand the reason behind zoning laws. Many Cities and Counties do not allow fowl or livestock in residential areas and is why there are Rural Areas in those locations, however some Cities and Counties allow (with a permit) up to 4 hens & no roosters in some juristictions. In some cases a property owner can request a special exception from the board of county commissioners or city board for a single thereputic bird/fowl for a bonafide special needs child. Always remember those who tell you to just do it, are not going to step up and pay your fines! Good luck in your endevor.

Last edited:
Here in Fla. Zoning can issue up to a $250 a day fine to the property owner, per fowl. That would mean 6 fowl x $250 = $1500 a day & the fine could run twenty(20) years or the property abated and forclosed upon( if the owner refuses to comply. Banks are notified if they hold the deed to the property and will get involved too as they dont want to lose the home/property to the city or county and may cite the home owner for breach of contract). if the property owner doesnt find a home for the fowl/livestock with in thirty(30) days or refuses to comply. Thats alot of information to take in I know.. It's probibly best to remove the fowl until you get the ord changed.. Since you didnt mention what your fines would be, and they will issue a fine. The anti govenment folks are quick to claim Big Brother is reaching into the pockets of the honest man. But in reality a City or County Government just wants conpliance and the fine is issued as a last resort.. Yes many Zoning officers nation wide veiw this and other websites, some of us live in areas that are zoned to keep fowl and do have them legally, while we feel your pain we see & understand the reason behind zoning laws. Many Cities and Counties do not allow fowl or livestock in residential areas and is why there are Rural Areas in those locations, however some Cities and Counties allow (with a permit) up to 4 hens & no roosters in some juristictions. In some cases a property owner can request a special exception from the board of county commissioners or city board for a single thereputic bird/fowl for a bonafide special needs child. Always remember those who tell you to just do it, are not going to step up and pay your fines! Good luck in your endevor.
Yep, yep, and yep! I also make sure to let folks in this situation know that they have an uphill battle if they go to their local officials and try to get a variance or exception if they are already in violation when they go in to make their case. Kinda hard to prove that you will abide by any regulations they pass if you've already shown that rules don't matter to you!

Naming them is a weak leg to try and stand on, especially since the OP is already in violation. I would suggest the OP check the land development codes for where they live by visiting this web site: https://www.municode.com/library/

It shows most of the states cities and /or counties ords/laws.. and is a great start for their endevor. :)

Getting an Ordinance changed is a lengthly uphill challenge, remember that getting petions signed don't get the ord/law changed, but rather get you heard and the proverbial foot in the door. These changes do not happen over night. And is best approached if you are not already in violation of local laws/ords. as it will appear as a knee jerk reaction. As Blooie has pointed out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom