They just "fell" into my cart...

I always bring a cloth (no loose threads) to put on the floor of my box. I am not a fan of chips. That is the trouble with buying them at a feed store, all chicks come with wood chips, and more in their tummies.
I asked for the bedding, because they needed something to stand on. Otherwise they get covered in poo. Unfortunately, they use pine, which I'm allergic to. I had zero intention of getting any more chicks from there, I really wanted to order some. However, I saw these and couldn't resist. Plus I got the two RIR pullets for my husband. Two RIR pullets from our last batch turned out to be roos, and that made his sad. He really loves the RIR hens. So I got him two more. Hopefully they won't turn out to be boys.

I'm trying to get the duck eggs from my next door neighbor since they don't eat them anyways.
My kids love the duck and goose eggs. I always bring them dozens whenever we see them. One is 19 and living on his own, so free food is always welcome. The other is 17 and living with her bio mom, who makes her buy her own groceries. We help out a lot, especially with eggs. She loves eggs, especially the duck and goose eggs. My husband has a sensitivity to duck eggs, so we don't eat them at home. The dogs love them, too. I usually scramble up a bunch for the animals, and dry out the shells to feed to the hens. Nothing goes to waste.

My kids love the duck and goose eggs. I always bring them dozens whenever we see them. One is 19 and living on his own, so free food is always welcome. The other is 17 and living with her bio mom, who makes her buy her own groceries. We help out a lot, especially with eggs. She loves eggs, especially the duck and goose eggs. My husband has a sensitivity to duck eggs, so we don't eat them at home. The dogs love them, too. I usually scramble up a bunch for the animals, and dry out the shells to feed to the hens. Nothing goes to waste.
But I want to try to hatch some. They have a female and 2 drakes of the Welsh Harlequins. I wish they had a bigger gene pool with more females of these though, because they are so pretty. Maybe I can buy some more on ebay?

I have one drake and one hen that are Welsh Harlequin. I had four hens, but three of them have been victims of predators. The WH seem to be escape artists and very stupid at the same time, which is sad because they are my favorite. They are the most personable ducks I've had. I had to downsize my flock, because we were overwhelmed with all the eggs being laid. I kept my 5 WH ducks and drake, and one Cayuga hen who was over bred by the other 4 drakes, even though I had 30 hens. I'm not sure why all the drakes wanted Velvet the most, but she was always all torn up. So I re homed all but Velvet (who Arthur, my WH drake ignores) and my WH drake and hens. Now I only have Velvet, Daphne, and Arthur. Velvet is a very smart girl, and never leaves the fence, even during free roam time.
WH aren't really maternal, in my experience so far. One of the other Cayuga hens I had hatched out 18 ducklings last spring. I re homed Opal, because she was a good mother and the person who took her wanted to hatch out their own ducklings. DM me if maybe you want a few of my WH eggs to try and hatch out?
But I want to try to hatch some. They have a female and 2 drakes of the Welsh Harlequins. I wish they had a bigger gene pool with more females of these though, because they are so pretty. Maybe I can buy some more on ebay?

I have no idea how this happened! I was in Rural King getting cat food (yes, I cheated on Chewy, but it was $2/pack cheaper!), and suddenly I heard cheeping. Next thing I know, we are leaving with two RIR and four Dark Brahma chicks! 🤣🤣
I know I said I was only going to order my chicks from now on, but I just couldn't help myself. They are SO CUTE!View attachment 3461427View attachment 3461440
...."Chicken Math" strikes again!!! ; )

Aww! They're adorable.
338335616_1191574154769367_1264476143001192422_n.jpg~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom