They're Cooking A Silkie On Food Network For Halloween...

Redhen, sorry, I'll have to find some meat pics. Normally I don't post those online.

Kathy, they really do taste like chicken, just not your regular Cornish Cross. They are closer to a young cockeral.

Hi! It's all CHICKEN! The ones I've cooked here come out a kind of mauvey-gray (like dark meat all over, but different because of the dark bones). Something I've noticed is even older Silkie (and Silkie cross) boys are tender and not stringy like other older boys tend to be.
Not sure if my experiences are coincidental.
smile.png

Lisa

Quote:
That's a real good point about the tenderness. All the silkies I've ever cooked were very tender too, even the 6 to 12 month old roos.

Quote:
That's a real good point about the tenderness. All the silkies I've ever cooked were very tender too, even the 6 to 12 month old roos.

thats because they sit around all day sipping sherry and eating bonbons...
tongue.png

My hen weights about a pound and roo about 3 pounds... and while they may taste good they are too cute for words, I couldn't do it. Though I would have no problem raising silkies destine for the pot....

Must set the PVR to records one of these shows... I hang out on the food network channel all the time.

Last edited:
Don't remember which poster is was but their tag line said:

"Silkie...It's Whats For Dinner" (shame, shame on you poster!)
lol.png

can someone send me the link to the food network cooking a silkie for halloween

is it on youtube i cant find one

i would love to see a dead to cooked !!

my friend took 2 8mth old cocks to auction and they said curried tonight lolol

shame they were nice looking too.

is it really black skin black bones and black meat too my hubby wouldnt touch it lolol

i could do with some really good info site not killed anything yet but the plucking and removing is probably the bit i am more concerned about. any links for that too would be great!

im going to grow me a good hen for easter any ideas? on a decent table bird

We watched this last Friday.

DH was TOTALLY disgusted by the sight of dead silkies. He wil not be eating one any time soon.

The rest of the episode was equally disgusting
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom